This article is for small businesses and accountants who are eligible for Making Tax Digital (MTD) or signed up to MTD voluntarily.
In order to submit a VAT return to HMRC for MTD, follow these steps below:
- Go to VAT at the top of the menu
- Click File VAT (Accountants)
- You will be prompted to ensure you have an Agent Services Account
- Link your clients to agent services account and ensure they are eligible for MTD
- Connect to HMRC using your new goverment gateway user ID and password
- Click File VAT (Small Businesses)
- Sign up for MTD for VAT
- Connect to HMRC
- Sign into HMRC using your goverment gateway credentials
- Grant authority to interact with HMRC on your behalf
- File VAT MTD
- Click the relevant VAT return and click Proceed
- Review your return and click File Return
- Agree to the declaration and click File Return
- Click Finish
In order to file VAT through the MTD experience please ensure you follow the above steps. If you use alternative VAT workflows it will not show the MTD experience.
If you are not eligible for MTD or if you are below the taxable turnover of £85,000 you can still file VAT online.
If you need anymore information on Making Tax Digital , please click Overview of Making Tax Digital
*QuickBooks MTD software currently supports Standard, Cash and Flat Rate schemes. QuickBooks Bridging Software supports Standard and Cash schemes. Annual submissions are not currently supported but will be coming soon. Businesses whose home currency is not GBP are currently not supported for MTD.