This article helps you resolve the following error messages:
The attempt to log in with the user name xxxxx failed. This user is already logged into the company file. Try a different user name.
User ID Admin is already logged into the company file.
You may get these errors if:
- The accountant or user logging into the company file is using Remote Access, and did not log out from a previous session.
- The user is already logged into the company file from a different workstation.
- An electrical problem caused an issue in the network.
Solution 1: Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub
Step 1: Download and install the QuickBooks Tools Hub
QuickBooks needs to be closed to use the tool hub.
The QuickBooks Tool Hub helps fix common errors. For the best experience, we recommend using Tool Hub on Windows 10, 64-bit.
- Close QuickBooks.
- We recommend you download the most recent version (18.104.22.168) of the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Save the file somewhere you can easily find it (like your Downloads folder or your Windows desktop). Note: If you've already installed Tool Hub before, you can find out which version you have. Select the Home tab. The version will be displayed on the bottom right or you can select About to view the version.
- Open the file you downloaded (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
- Follow the on-screen steps to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- When the install finishes, double-click the icon on your Windows desktop to open the tool hub.
Note: If you can't find the icon, do a search in Windows for QuickBooks Tool Hub and select the program.
Step 2: Run Quick Fix my Program
- In the QuickBooks Tools Hub, select Program Problems.
- Select Quick Fix my Program.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and log in to the company file.
Solution 2: Restart the server that stores and hosts the company data file
After restarting the server, open QuickBooks on a workstation, then log in to the company data file.
Solution 3: Log in as a different user
- If you do not remember your Username and/or Password, contact your QuickBooks Administrator about resetting your QuickBooks login credentials.
- If you are the QuickBooks Administrator: Select the reset button on the login screen, and answer the challenge questions.
- If you are still having problems, select the link to the Intuit Automatic Password Removal Service. See Use the Automated Password Reset Tool for QuickBooks Desktop.
Solution 4: Restore your latest backup and reenter data