Learn how to pay your bills online from within the QuickBooks Desktop product.
Bill Pay helps small businesses manage their cash flow by giving them more flexibility to pay bills directly from QuickBooks while choosing how vendors receive payment.
Note: Bill Pay, powered by Melio, is currently available only to a select few QuickBooks subscription users and currently for Plus and Enterprise subscriptions.
What are the key benefits?
Conveniently pay vendor bills using your bank account, debit or credit card. Also, select how your vendors would like to receive payment — via ACH or check.
Once scheduled, bills automatically show as paid in QuickBooks so other users won’t accidentally pay later.
How does it work?
Active subscriptions for QuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus, Premier Plus, or Enterprise, are part of the selected group. You may have the Intuit bill pay service enabled for your product if you're one of the selected subscription users.
How to Pay bills with Bill Pay service powered by Melio
Use either the Enter bill or Pay bills screen to access bill pay. Here’s how:
- Select Enter bills from either your homepage or from Vendors.
- Then select the option Schedule Online Payment to proceed.
- Select Pay bills from either your homepage or from Vendors.
- Select a bill that you'd like to pay.
- From the Methods dropdown, select Schedule Online Payment.
- Then select Pay Selected Bills.
Paying your first bill
Upon selecting the option to pay, you'll be asked to provide a one-time consent.
- Select the method that you'd like to use:
- Bank account
- Debit Card
- Credit Card
For credit card transactions, the Bill Pay service levies a charge of 2.9% per transaction.
- Add your bank account or credit/debit card details.
For future transactions, your selection will be kept so that you don’t need to enter your details again.
- Choose how your vendor would like to receive the payment:
- Bank transfer (ACH): 3 business day standard delivery (4 business days for payments over $100k). You can enter your vendor’s routing number and account number to process the bill payment.
- Standard Paper check delivery: typically takes 5–7 business days via USPS
- Fast Check: 3 business days via FedEx (Flat $20 fee)
You can provide the name that needs to be written on the check and the address. Bill Pay service will deliver the check on your behalf.
For future transactions, your selection for the vendor’s receiving method will be kept so that you don’t need to enter again.
- Select a schedule date
- You can select today’s date (before 11:30 AM ET) or a date in the future
- The payment will be deducted from your account on the day that you choose.
- Review the payment
- Review all the payment details
- Make sure to schedule the payment
- Your bill will be automatically marked as paid for the future date.
Subsequent bill payments
For future bill payments, follow these steps:
- Select the bill you wish to pay from the Pay bills screen.
- Select Schedule Online Payment.
- Select the bank account, credit or debit card you wish to use.
- Select a schedule date.
- Review and confirm the payment.
You can always add a new payment method. To change a vendor’s method to receive the payment, edit the method on the Review and Confirm screen.
Staying updated about your bill payment status
You'll receive an email notification when your payment is scheduled, and when it begins processing. Your vendor will receive a notification when the payment is out for delivery.
The email address used is the same that you would have used to create your Intuit account.
You can also view payment details from within QuickBooks. Here’s how:
- On the bill that you paid, select the option to View online payment.
- Select to view, edit or cancel your payment.
You may edit or cancel your payment anytime before the payment begins processing on the selected schedule date. Once the payment has begun processing, you’ll no longer be able to edit or cancel the payment in Bill Pay.
For any support you can reach out to Intuit Bill Pay support powered by melio at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or send us a chat message. Here’s how:
- Within Bill Pay, select Need Help? Located on the page header.
- Select Send us a message in the chat dialogue that opens.
The average response time shows in the chat window.
Here are some of the common questions you may encounter
Learn how to work with Bill Pay, powered by Melio.