Learn how to transfer the primary admin role to a different user in QuickBooks Desktop.
There are two admin roles available through QuickBooks that you can manage in Intuit account user management. Here’s the difference between the roles:
- Primary admin: A primary admin can add/delete users, edit user roles, assign secondary admin roles to users, and transfer the primary admin role to another user.
- Secondary admin: A secondary admin can add/delete users, edit user roles, and assign secondary admin roles to users.
You may need to transfer the primary admin role for a company file to another user. A common example is leaving the company and asking someone else to manage the company finances. Whatever the reason, we’ll show you what to do.
|You can only have one primary admin per company file. If you need to, however, you can add a secondary admin.|
How to transfer the primary admin role from QuickBooks Desktop or a browser
Here’s how to transfer the primary admin role to another user via Intuit account user management.
- Sign in to Intuit Account User Management from a web browser or, in QuickBooks Desktop, go to the Company menu, then Users and select Intuit Account User Management.
- Select the company file you’d like to transfer, then select Continue. (see more in Set up and use Intuit account user management article)
- From the Users tab, select the current primary admin, then from the Action column select Change primary admin.
- Select the dropdown and choose which user to transfer the primary admin role to. If the user isn’t listed, you’ll need to add them to the account.
- Select the checkbox to verify you’ll become secondary admin.
- Select Verify.
- Sign in using your Intuit account info.
- Confirm the invite by selecting OK.
Have the new primary admin check their email and look for the invite. They’ll need to select Accept Invite, then sign in using their Intuit account credentials. Once they accept the invite, they’ll become the new primary admin and you’ll become secondary admin.
How to accept a primary admin invite
When you’re invited to become the primary admin, you’ll need to accept the invite within 30 days before you can sign in. Here’s what to do.
- Check the email that received the invite.
- From the email invite, select Accept Invite and sign in using your Intuit account email or user ID.
- Select a method to verify your identity and then type the provided 6-digit code. When ready, select Continue.
- The new primary admins role will now be active.
How to transfer the primary admin role without Intuit account credentials
If the primary admin doesn't remember their login info or they’re no longer with the company, you can send a request to our team to transfer the primary admin role.
When you request to transfer the role, you’ll need to provide documents to make sure that you have rightful ownership for the account. We’ll review your request within three business days and will notify you via email if we're able to approve the request.
How to change the email address associated with your Intuit account
If you need to change the email address linked to your Intuit account and current role, here’s what to do.
- Go to your Intuit account and login using your Intuit account credentials.
- Select Sign in & security.
- Select Email address.
- Update the email address, then select Save.
Alternatively, to transfer the primary admin role, you can add a new user with the updated email address and transfer the primary admin role to that user.