Recording a credit card payment helps you keep track of your expenses and maintain accurate financial reports. In this article, you will learn various ways to record credit card payments in QuickBooks Online.
Write a check
You can write a check to record a credit card payment:
Create a transfer
You can create a transfer to record a credit card payment:
- Select the + New button.
- Under Other, select Transfer.
- From the Transfer Funds From ▼ drop-down menu, choose the bank account the credit card was paid from.
- From the Transfer Funds To ▼ drop-down menu, select the credit card that the payment went to.
- In the Transfer Amount box, enter the amount of the payment.
- (Optional) Edit the date.
- Select Save and close.
Make a payment after reconciling your credit card
Here's how to make a payment after reconciling your card:
- Go to Settings ⚙️.
- Under Tools, select Reconcile.
- Select the credit card Account.
- Enter any missing transactions from the statement and adjust any incorrect transactions, if there are any.
- Once the difference is zero, select Start reconciling.
- In the Reconcile screen, select the checkbox next to the transactions that match the transactions on your statement to mark it as cleared.
- Edit info or select Finish now, then Done.
- Decide how you want to pay the credit card.
- Pay all or a portion of the bill now: takes you to the Check screen with full amounts listed. For partial payments, enter the amount that you actually paid.
- Enter a bill to pay later: takes you to the Bills screen with full amounts listed. For partial payment, change the amount to what you intend to pay. If you're unsure, you can leave the full amount and edit it later to reflect the actual amount paid. This option moves the balance in the credit card account to Accounts Payable.
- Done: If users don't want to record credit card balance payments or bills when reconciling (or if they did it beforehand already), they can select Done.
|Note: For businesses using Cash Basis, bill and bill payments for credit cards may show as unapplied cash on the Profit and Loss report.|
Use banking download
If the account you pay the credit card bill from and the credit card are both connected, the easiest way to add the transaction is to transfer from one of the accounts and then match the transaction from the other account.
- Go to the Banking menu and select Banking.
- Select a Vendor/Customer.
- Change the circular checkbox from Add to Record transfer.
- Select the credit card transaction under Category.
- Choose the new account to view the transaction details.
- Select the Recognized tab and locate the transaction. Once you're done, you should see a green match icon.
- Choose Match in the action column.
Your books done right - guaranteed.
Get a QuickBooks-certified bookkeeper to categorize transactions and reconcile your bank statements every month so your books are always 100% accurate. Learn more about QuickBooks Live Bookkeeping.