Important: Our Product Development team found an issue with the conversion process from QuickBooks for Mac 2021 and 2020. Reach out to QuickBooks Support if you need help with the export to QuickBooks Online. We’ll continue to work to resolve this issue.
Learn how to move your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac file to QuickBooks Online.
Do you want to move your company file from QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to QuickBooks Online? It can easily be done. Follow the steps below.
|Note: If you're using QuickBooks for Windows, refer instead to Convert QuickBooks Desktop file into QuickBooks Online.|
Before you get started
There are several things you should review and consider before starting to convert your file:
- If you're using a QuickBooks for Mac version older than 2016, download and install the free trial, before converting to QuickBooks Online.
- You must be logged in as the Administrator in both your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac company file and your QuickBooks Online account.
- You can only convert your QuickBooks Desktop data within the first 60 days of your QuickBooks Online company start date.
- When you convert, your Desktop file will replace your Online file and overwrite any existing information.
- Don't convert your file if you've already turned on Payroll in QuickBooks Online.
- Your QuickBooks file must be under 350,000 targets (file size doesn't matter).
- If you're over the 350,000 target limit, you'll only be given the option to import your lists and/or balances.
- Inventory can only be imported from QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
- If you want to import your inventory, save your company file as a QuickBooks Desktop for Windows file, open it on a Windows computer, then import using the latest version of QuickBooks for Windows.
- There is some information that may not be imported when you move from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online.
- If you receive any errors while importing, you can fix errors when converting to QuickBooks Online.
Import your data into QuickBooks Online
- Open your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac company file.
- Select File, then choose Export to QuickBooks Online. (Note: Having trouble making a copy of your company file? Make sure you're using the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.)
- Now, sign in to your existing QuickBooks Online account using your user ID and password. (Note: Creating a new account isn't recommended during import.)
- Select OK, got it. QuickBooks imports your data.
After you've connected to QuickBooks Online to import your data
- You’ll receive an email confirmation once the import is done.
- Confirmation can take up to 24 hours.