This article describes what information can be (and what information cannot be) corrected on Form W-2c (W-2c Requests) by QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted, Intuit Full Service Payroll (IFSP) and QuickBooks Online Full Service Payroll (QBFSP) services including Core, Premium and Elite as well.
You can correct the following on Form W-2c:
- Employee name if it does not match the name on the Social Security card
- Employee Social Security Number (For more information, see the Related Articles section in this article.)
- Employer EIN (if incorrect on the W-2 form due to a typo but has no entity change)
- Incorrect wages (boxes 1,3,5,16,18)
- Federal income tax (FIT), Social Security, Medicare (MED), state income tax (SIT), local
- Incorrect tax amount withheld (boxes 2, 4, 6, 17, 19)
- FIT, Social Security, MED, SIT, local
- Reporting or removing amounts from boxes 9, 10, 11, 12, or 14
- AEIC, dependent care, nonqualified plans, deferred compensation, other (such as clergy housing)
- Descriptions for box 14, 20
- Other item descriptions, locality name
- Marking or unmarking box 13
- Tips: allocated and actual (boxes 7 and 8)
You cannot correct the following on Form W-2c:
- Employee address
- Employer address
- Employee prefix (examples: Dr, Mrs, Atty)
Quarterly filings for either the IRS or the state also cannot be amended for legal address changes.
Note: For a copy of Form W-2c, click here. Notice that the W-2c form has 2 sections: Previously Reported and Correct Information. Intuit cannot submit corrections for any information that does not have a field provided for previous and correct information. To correct some of these items, can also require that an amended return or wage list be created.