Learn how to add an EIN to an existing QuickBooks Desktop Payroll account.
Do you need to add an EIN to a QuickBooks Desktop Payroll subscription? We show you how.
Requirements and limitations
Here are the requirements and limitations. This list is for QuickBooks Desktop 2017, 2018, and 2019.
For assistance in adding a new company or EIN under you subscription. If you need to add a company file that has an existing service key to your own subscription, contact us for assistance.
- You must use the same registered copy of QuickBooks Desktop, on the same machine, to process payroll for all companies on a single payroll subscription.
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll can only support one company data file per EIN. Attempts to use multiple company files under the same EIN and payroll subscription may cause errors.
- The contact information and payroll administrator for the payroll subscription will be the same for all companies you add to a single subscription.
- If you pay your employees with Direct Deposit (DD), you can have multiple companies (separate data files with different EINs) with DD on the same DIY Payroll subscription.
- Each QuickBooks Desktop Payroll service has a limit on the number of companies you can add to a single subscription. These limits are based on company data files, not number of employees.
- If you are an Enhanced Payroll for Accountants license owner, we highly recommend against giving your service keys to your clients. Doing so may cause your payroll subscription account to be exposed to unauthorized users.
|Service||Maximum number of EINS|
|QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic||3|
|QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Standard||3|
|QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced||3|
QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced for
|QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted||Each EIN is charged separately. Discounts apply for multiple companies|
QuickBooks Desktop 2017, 2018, and 2019: Add EIN to your subscription
Add EIN to your subscription (QuickBooks 2017, 2018, and 2019).
- Select Employees, then Payroll, choose Use My Existing Payroll Service. (If you don't see that option, proceed to The "Use my existing payroll service option is not available."
- Under Identify Subscription, choose Use Subscription Number XXXXXXX [ Payroll Subscription Version ]. (If you don't see your own subscription in the list, select Other: I have an existing subscription and a Zip Code. And enter your information.)
- Select Next.
- When the Add Company Information window opens, select Next to add the company EIN.
- Select Print. Or Return to QuickBooks Desktop. (Note: The Validating Payroll Subscription window opens and the service is added automatically.)
- Verify the Service Key.
- Select Employees, then My Payroll Service, then Manage Service Keys.
- Select View to display the new service key with an Active Status.
Do you need to add a company file?
If you purchased a subscription directly from Intuit prior to creating a QuickBooks Desktop company file.
- Get the service key of the EIN you are adding:
- Select Employees, then Payroll, choose Enter Payroll Service Key.
- Select Add. Then enter the service key as one number without hyphens.
- If the company file already has the payroll service key in it, choose Edit instead of Add. Then enter the Service Key.
- Select Next, and Finish.
- A new Tax Table will be downloaded. And payroll functions will be activated in your QuickBooks Desktop company file.