Learn how to receive payments for an invoice in QuickBooks Desktop.
When a customer pays you for an open invoice, you need to enter the payment in QuickBooks. Recording invoices is part of the Accounts Receivable workflow.
Note: Enter a sales receipt on Windows or Mac if your customer paid upfront in full or a payment item if it’s a partial payment only. If you use Intuit Merchant Services, here’s how to process your customer’s credit or debit card on Windows or Mac.
Enter a payment from a customer
QuickBooks for Windows
- From the QuickBooks Home page or the Customers menu, select Receive Payment.
- In the Received From drop-down, select the customer's name.
- Enter the Amount received.
- Make sure the date is correct, then choose the Payment method.
- Select the invoice or invoices you'd like to pay.
- To add a discount or credit, select Discounts and Credits.
- Select Save & Close.
QuickBooks for Mac
- From the Customers menu, select Receive Payments.
- Select Create a Payment.
- Fill out the fields.
- Select the outstanding invoices and charges you're receiving the payment for. A check appears next to the invoice or charge.
- Choose how you want to deposit the payment: Select Group with other undeposited funds to hold the payment in your undeposited funds account, or select Deposit to, then enter a specific bank account.
- Select Save.
To edit a payment, select a payment in the list, then edit the info. To see a history of the payments for a customer, select the Show/hide customer information icon.
To apply a discount for early payment
- Go To Customers, then select Receive payments.
- Enter the customer's payment in the Receive Payments window.
- Select Discount Info.
- (Optional) Change the amount of the discount.
QuickBooks calculates a suggested discount amount based on your payment terms with the customer and the payment date.
- Enter the name of the account you use to track the discounts you give to customers.
- Select Save.
To apply discounts to statement charges, go to the Accounts Receivable register for the customer and use a Discount item.