Learn how to turn on payments so your customers can pay you directly from the invoices you send them (in QuickBooks Desktop 2018 or later).
If you have QuickBooks Payments, your customers can pay their invoices online by credit card or ACH bank transfer. All they have to do is select the Pay Now button in the email. Setting up online invoices takes just a few minutes, and can help you get paid faster. Or, you can take customer payments in-person.
Step 1: Sign up or connect an existing QuickBooks Payments account
If you haven't already, sign up for QuickBooks Payments. And if you already have a QuickBooks Payments account you use for another product, connect your existing account to QuickBooks Desktop.
Step 2: Turn on payment options
Once you turn on payments, you can start sending invoices your customers can pay online.
Turn on online payments for all customers
- Go to Edit ✎ and select Preferences.
- Select Payments and then the Company Preferences tab.
- In the Online Payments section, select the payment methods you want to make available to all customers. Then select OK.
- Select Apply to existing customers.
These become your default payment settings for all invoices.
Turn on online payments for a specific customer
- Go to the Customers menu and select Customer Center.
- Find the customer.
- Select the Edit icon to edit their profile.
- Select Payment Settings.
- In the Online Payments section, select the payment options you want to make available to this customer. Then select OK.
Step 3: Send an online invoice
- Go to the Customers menu and select Create Invoices.
- Select the customer from the Customer: Job dropdown. Note: Make sure there's an email address in the Email field.
- Next to Your customer can pay online using, review the online payment options available.
- If you want to change the payment options for this invoice, select the Change link. Select the checkboxes for the options you want to make available. Then select Save.
- Add the products and services you need to sell.
- Fill out the rest of the invoice.
- Select the Main tab at the top of the invoice form.
- Select the Email dropdown, then select Invoice.
- Review the invoice message. When you’re ready, select Send.
This emails your customer the invoice with a Pay Now button. All your customer has to do is select the button to pay for the invoice online.
Change payment options for specific invoices
When you create an invoice, you can change the payment options you want to be available. These changes only apply to the specific invoice you changed, not any other invoice.
Disclaimer: QuickBooks Payments account subject to eligibility criteria, credit and application approval. Money movement services are provided by Intuit Payments Inc., licensed as a Money Transmitter by the New York State Department of Financial Services.