Learn how you can help customers if they can't pay for an invoice you send them in QuickBooks.
If you sign up for QuickBooks Payments, you can send invoices from QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop so customers can pay online.
When the customer gets the email, all they have to do is select the Review and pay or Pay invoice. This will open the invoice and they can pay it directly from there. Your settings determine if customers can pay by credit card or with an ACH bank transfer.
If your customers run into issues when they try to pay, don't worry. Here are a few ways to fix them so you can finish the sale.
Note: If you have the new version of estimates and invoices, you can also use most of these tips to help customers pay deposits on your estimates.
Customers don't see a "Pay now" button in their email
Keep in mind, payment processing is an add-on feature through QuickBooks Payments. If you don't have QuickBooks Payments, you can still email invoices to your customers but they won't be able to pay directly from the invoice.
If you do have QuickBooks Payments, you need to turn on the feature to allow customers to pay directly from an invoice. Select your product to learn more:
- Turn on online invoice payments in QuickBooks Online
- Turn on online invoice payments in QuickBooks Desktop
Customers see an error message
Customers should follow any instructions they see in the error message. If there aren't any steps, we recommend they:
- Clear their web browser cache.
- Right-click the Review and pay button in the invoice email and copy the URL. Open a web browser and paste the link into the address bar. If the link still doesn't open, try another web browser.
- Make sure their web browser is up to date.
QuickBooks Payments works best with these web browsers:
Customers don't know how to make partial payments
Customers can make partial payments on the payment page:
Note: When you request a deposit on an estimate, the customer must pay the full deposit. Partial payments aren't available.
- Open the invoice email and select Review and pay.
- Select the pencil ✏️ icon to edit the Payment Amount.
- Enter the partial amount.
- Complete the rest of the fields and select Pay.
Tip: If you don't want customers to make partial payments, let them know ahead of time.
Customer's credit card gets declined
There are a few common reasons why cards are declined.
- The info they entered may not match what the bank has on file.
- The payment amount might be larger than the limit set by the card issuer or bank.
If a card is declined, we recommend your customer talk directly to their bank.