Learn how to review downloaded bank and credit card transactions and put them in the correct accounts.
After you connect your bank and credit card accounts QuickBooks automatically downloads the latest transactions. It looks for and tries to match them with transactions you've already entered into QuickBooks. If it can't find a match, it creates a new transaction record for you. All you have to do is approve the match or newly created transaction.
To watch more how-to videos, visit our video section.
Note: QuickBooks can automatically match transactions made with QuickBooks Payments, saving you hassle and time. Learn more about automatic matching for QuickBooks Payments.
Step 1: Download the latest bank and credit card transactions
For most banks, QuickBooks downloads the latest available transactions every night around 10 PM PT. Some may take a little longer. You can also manually update your accounts anytime to get the latest available transactions:
This updates all of your bank and credit card accounts.
Tip: If you see a message about additional authentication, follow the on-screen steps to continue the update. Not all banks require this, but some do for added peace of mind.
Here's what to do if you have trouble downloading your transactions.
Step 2: Review and categorize downloaded transactions
QuickBooks sends downloaded transactions to the For review tab. Review them one-by-one.
For each, you have the option to match, add, or view multiple matches. Follow the steps in the section for each option:
View images for check transactions
QuickBooks has partnered with a number of banks to automatically include front and back check images for any check transactions awaiting review. This can make it easier to review and match transactions.
If you've already connected QuickBooks to a participating bank, the check images load automatically, and no further action is required.
To view the check images:
- In the For Review tab, select a downloaded transaction that shows a number in the Attachment column.
- In the transaction details, select one of the Check Image attachments to view the image.
- In the image panel that appears, you can view the front and back of the check, and expand the image to full screen.
- Review the transaction as normal. If you match or add the transaction, you can later find the images in your Attachments list, under Settings ⚙.
- If your connected bank transactions don’t have check images automatically attached, your bank is not supported. However, it may be supported at a later date as we work to partner with more financial institutions.
- Check images are not supported with multi-currency turned on.
Step 3: Review matched or added transactions
After you match or add downloaded transactions, they're recorded into QuickBooks. You can review your work and make sure everything is correct in the Categorized or Reviewed tab.
It's a good idea to quickly check this after your review: