Learn how to switch from QuickBooks Self-Employed to QuickBooks Online.
Is your business growing quickly? Congrats on your success! If you need more advanced features to keep up with your bookkeeping, upgrade to QuickBooks Online. Or, you can switch to the TurboTax bundle and use QuickBooks Live.
Step 1: Save your financial reports
Download all your work from QuickBooks Self-Employed so you have an extra copy for safekeeping.
- Go to Reports.
- From the Tax details section, select a tax year.
- Select Download.
- Download a report for each year you have in QuickBooks.
- Repeat these steps for your Profit and Loss, Mileage Log, and Receipts.
Step 2: Copy your data to QuickBooks Online
If you copy your data to QuickBooks Online, there’s no way to return to QuickBooks Self-Employed. If you still want to copy it, follow these steps on a computer.
- Go to Settings ⚙, then from the Profile column, select Upgrade.
- Select Choose plan on the one that you prefer.
- Review the changes in features, then select Sounds good.
- If you want to copy your data to QuickBooks Online, select Bring my data. If not, select Start Fresh.
Note: If you choose to bring your data, follow the steps to categorize open transactions and mark the paid invoices.
- Review the summary of data that you'll move to QuickBooks Online.
- Select Continue, then To QuickBooks Online!
- Double-check your payment method, then select Change plan. If you need to change payment method, select ✎ Edit.
- Answer or confirm a few details about your business to start using QuickBooks Online.
Tip: To help with the transition and get your company file started, read the walkthrough guide for QuickBooks Online.
Manually switch from QuickBooks Self-Employed to QuickBooks Online
Step 1: Download and save your data
Download all your QuickBooks Self-Employed transactions so you can copy them to QuickBooks Online. It’s never a bad idea to have an extra copy of your transactions for safekeeping, even if you want to start from scratch.
Step 2: Subscribe to QuickBooks Online
Go to our website’s Plans & Pricing page and choose the plan you think best suits you and your business.
Step 3: Copy your data to QuickBooks Online
Before you start moving your data, first consider what type of data to copy.
Save time and avoid importing duplicate transactions with Online banking. With this feature, you can connect your bank and credit card accounts to QuickBooks Online and download your transactions.
If you aren’t interested in this feature, you can manually upload transactions into QuickBooks Online.
Step 4: Cancel your QuickBooks Self-Employed subscription
After importing your data to QuickBooks Online, you can cancel your QuickBooks Self-Employed subscription.
To help with the transition and get your company file started, read the walkthrough guide for QuickBooks Online.