Learn how to quickly take payments with the latest QuickBooks card reader.
The QuickBooks card reader makes it convenient for customers and their clients to see payment and tip amounts through its LED Display. Customers can make sure of tips and totals through sensors right on the display.
With the QuickChip internal processors, the card reader makes it both simple and fast for customers to receive payments.
Not sure which card reader you have? Get more info about your QuickBooks Payments card reader and its features.
Not using GoPayment? Find out which product to Take and process payments with QuickBooks Payments.
Note: The QuickBooks Card Reader is also compatible with the QuickBooks Power Stand.
Connect your card reader to QuickBooks Desktop
If you need to connect your card ready to QuickBooks desktop, check out Take and process payments in QuickBooks Desktop.
Connect your card reader to your GoPayment app
To watch more how-to videos, visit our video section.
- Make sure the bluetooth on your mobile device is turned on.
- Turn on your card reader
- Sign in to your GoPayment app on your device.
- Select your card reader after GoPayment automatically finds it.
- Your device may ask your permission to pair with the reader.
Your card reader is now connected! You’ll see it listed under My Card Readers. You can select the arrows on the reader to check that it’s connected, and also to check the battery level.
Process payment for a new sale
- Start from the home screen in the GoPayment app.
- Tap (+) then select New Sale to create a sales receipt.
- On the keypad, enter the amount and description. Or, if you have items entered in GoPayment, you can select one.
- If you have more items to enter separately, you can select Add to enter this item and move to the next one.
- When you’ve entered all of the items, select Review Order.
- On the order review screen, check that all your amounts are correct. You can also make other modifications, like adding sales tax, discounts or details about the items or customer.
- When you’re ready, select Charge, then select your card reader.
You and your customer both see the sale amount. Your customer completes the sale on the card reader by using their chosen payment method.
Note: In case of a processing error, the GoPayment app displays all necessary information.
Payment methods that work with the QuickBooks Payments reader
The reader takes chip-enabled cards, tap-enabled cards, and tap-to-pay digital wallets such as Apple Pay and Google Pay.
Here’s how to use a chip-enabled card on the reader:
- Use the reader display facing up.
- Insert the card with the chip facing up as well so that the chip goes in the reader.
Note this is different from the older QuickBooks readers, where the chip faced down.
Use the reader with tap-to-pay card or digital wallet
- Tap the payment card or mobile device to the front face of the reader.
- For best results, aim for the center of the LED display.
If your card has a tap symbol, use that to aim at the center of the display.
You can’t use a swipe card with the QuickBooks card reader. Instead, on your payment app, manually key-in the card number. Note that the fee for manually entered cards is different than when reading the card through a reader.
Check out how to process other payments with the GoPayment App.
Turn the QuickBooks Payments reader on and off
Hold down the power button on the side of the reader near the green qb logo. You’ll know it’s on when the reader beeps and the LED display turns on.
When you wish to power down the reader, hold the power button until the LED display turns off.
Issue a receipt with the QuickBooks Card reader
Once you complete a sale, you’re given options for receipt delivery.
After you process the sale, GoPayment provides three receipt options:
- Select email or text receipt and enter your customer's info to send.
- Select Print receipt from your Android or iOS device and connect to an available printer.
- Select No receipt to close the app window if your customer doesn't require a receipt.
Charge and check the battery level of your card reader
The reader recharges using the included USB-C to USB-cable. Depending on how much power is left on your battery, the reader can fully charge in about two hours or less.
As the battery recharges, the battery level indicator on the reader displays an animation of the battery filling up.
With the reader connected to the GoPayment app, you can check the exact battery level in the app by tapping on the Battery Icon when creating a new sale. You can check the rough battery level on the reader screen when in idle mode. Select either direction arrow one or two times until the battery level indicator displays.
The battery level icon uses 6 indicator levels, from nearly empty to fully charged.