Learn how to create subaccounts in your chart of accounts in QuickBooks Online.
This helps you keep your chart of accounts organized and create more detailed reports.
Create a new subaccount
In Quickbooks Online, you can create a subaccount under a parent account. This lets you break down your income, expenses, and other account types.
Note: You can create up to five subaccounts under one parent account.
Here’s how to get started:
- Go to Settings ⚙, then select Chart of Accounts.
- Select New. Depending on your account view, you’ll either see the New account or the Account panel.
Change an existing account into a subaccount
- Go to Settings, then select Chart of accounts.
- Find the account you want to edit.
- In the Action column, select the View register menu▼. Then, select Edit.
Note: Depending on your account view, you’ll either see the Account or the Edit account panel.
Learn more about organizing your accounts
Here are other things you can do to keep your chart of accounts in order: