Learn how to verify and rebuild your data in QuickBooks Desktop.
The verify tool finds the most common issues in a company file and the rebuild tool fixes them.
Verify your company data
- Go to Window then select Close All.
- Go to File, then select Utilities.
- Select Verify Data. If you see:
- QuickBooks detected no problems with your data—your data is clean, and you don’t need to do anything else.
- An error message—search for it on our QuickBooks Desktop support site for how to fix it.
- Your data has lost integrity—Data damage was found in the file. Rebuild your data to fix it.
Note: If you use Assisted Payroll contact Assisted Payroll before you rebuild your data.
Rebuild your company file data
- Go to File, Utilities, and then select Rebuild Data.
- QuickBooks will ask to make a backup before it rebuilds your company file. Select OK. A backup is required before you can rebuild.
- Select where you want to save your backup, then OK. Don’t replace another backup file. Enter a new name in File name and select Save.
- Select OK when you get the message Rebuild has completed.
- Go to File, select Utilities then select Verify Data again to check for additional damage.
- If the verify finds more damage, you’ll need to fix it manually. Search for the error(s) in the qbwin.log on the QuickBooks Desktop support site for how to fix it.
- If your error can't be found, you can restore a recent backup. Go to File then select Open or Restore Company.
Note: Don’t replace your existing company file. You’ll need to enter info into your company file again since the backup was created.
For additional assistance contact QuickBooks Desktop Support.