Printing checks is quick and easy in QuickBooks Online. Follow these simple steps to set up print checks.
|Note: Looking for QuickBooks-compatible checks? Check the Intuit Market for more info.|
Set up Print Checks
- Select + New.
- Select Print Checks.
- At the bottom of the page, select Print setup.
- Select the type of checks you have: voucher or standard.
Note: Depending on your region, there may only be one type available.
- Load blank paper into your printer. You'll print on blank paper first, so that if you need to correct alignment, you won't waste actual checks.
- Select View preview and print sample, then choose the Print icon.
Note: Follow Solution 1 if you're unable to print, or the printed sample doesn't align with the blank check.
Solution 1: Set up Adobe Reader
- Download the latest version of Adobe Reader, or update it, if you're already using it. This will control printing checks in QuickBooks Online.
- After downloading, installing, or updating Adobe Reader, set it as the default PDF viewer for your browser.
- Print another sample using the steps you used in Method 1. If this doesn’t work, proceed to Solution 2.
Solution 2: Fine-tune alignment
- On the Print checks setup window, select No, continue setup at the bottom right, twice until you get to Fine-tune alignment page.
- Drag the grid inside the large square to the place where it appears on your printout. QuickBooks Online will figure out how to adjust the alignment.
Note: QuickBooks Online uses the numbers on the vertical and horizontal to figure where exactly to print the check amount. These numbers change whenever you drag the grid.
- After adjusting the grid, print another sample using the steps you used in Method 1 then check the alignment again. Continue to fine-tune until the alignment is OK.
- Select View preview and print sample in the lower left, and choose Print icon at the top right.
- After the sample is printed on plain paper, hold it up to the light against a check and see if the alignment is correct.
- If you still need to do some fine tuning, close the sample and then go back to the grid to make adjustments, then print a fresh sample.
- Select Finish Setup when your sample’s alignment looks correct.
- Apply the following changes:
Note: Changes should apply to most printer versions – make changes for the options you see below.
- Page Scaling: set to None
- Auto-Rotate and Center must not be checked.
- Make sure that Choose Paper Source by PDF size is check.
- If you’re using Adobe Acrobat, these options are slightly different:
- Under Page Size & Handling
- Select Actual Size
- Select Choose paper source by PDF size
- Under Orientation
- Select Auto portrait/landscape
- Under Page Size & Handling
For additional questions related to printing paychecks, pay stubs, and forms, proceed to Troubleshoot printing paychecks, pay stubs and forms.
Other related topics
- Set up alignment for invoices, sales receipts, and other forms
- Set up alignment for preprinted paycheck