Learn how to set up an External Accountant user in QuickBooks Desktop.
We recommend all accountant users be set up as an External Accountant user. This lets your accountant access your company file without the need to sign in as Admin. An External Accountant user has access to all areas of QuickBooks, except customer credit card numbers.
Your audit trail will track changes made by the External Accountant user.
Set up an External Accountant user in Pro/Premier
- Select Company, Set Up Users and Password, and then Set up Users.
- Select Add User. Fill out the User Name, Password, Confirm Password, and then select Next.
- Select External Accountant and then select Next.
- Select Yes to give access to your new user and then Finish.
Set up an External Accountant user in QuickBooks Enterprise
- Select Company, Users and then select Users and Roles.
- Enter your Admin Password and then select OK.
- From the User List, select New.
- Enter a User ID and an optional Password.
- From Available Roles, select the External Accountant role, and then select Add.
- Enter the user’s email address, then select OK.
- From the confirmation window, select OK.
Link your External Accountant to an Intuit account
Your External Accountant role needs to link to a user's Intuit account.
When you set up a new user, we'll send them an email invite they'll need to accept. Have the user check their email and look for the invite. They’ll need to select Accept Invite, then sign in with their Intuit ID. If they can't find the email, have them check their spam and junk folders.
Once your accountant accepts the invite, they can sign in to your company file with their new user role. They can make any changes for you.
Get more info about your Intuit Account for QuickBooks Desktop
Check out the QuickBooks Blog for more info on Intuit Account for QuickBooks Desktop.
Check out our frequently asked questions about an External Accountant user.