When you accept credit card payments from your customers, there are times when you need to update a customer's billing information. The steps in this article shows everything you need to know about updating/changing a customer's credit card information.
Note: When adding a customer's card information, Intuit will perform a quick validation on the card. This can result in the cardholder seeing a $0.00 authorization on their account. In the event the validation fails, you will receive messaging that the card is unable to be saved at this time. You will want to request another form of payment from your customer.
Update a customer's credit card information through the customer edit screen
- Go to Customers & leads, then select Customers (Take me there).
- Choose the customer you want to edit.
- Select Edit in the upper right.
Note: If you can't see the Edit button, you need to setup the credit card payment methods in the Payment List.
- Find the Payments section.
- Select the current card number below the Preferred payment method line.
- Select the + Add link in the upper right.
- Enter the new card information, then select Save.
Note: After you save the entry, you can only view the last 4 digits of the card number.
Change a customer's credit card info in the sales receipt or receive payment window