Learn what to do when an employee's paycheck has missing timesheet info.
If you use the timesheets in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll, this could be caused by:
- The employee's profile isn't setup to use timesheets.
- Hours entered may have fallen on a date outside the pay period.
- The employee may have an incorrect pay frequency.
- A missing payroll item from the timesheet.
If you use QuickBooks Time, see Setup and use QuickBooks Desktop for Windows and QuickBooks Time integration.
If you're having trouble with other time tracking software, you'll need to contact your time tracking provider.
Here are some things to check.
Make sure time tracking is turned on
Make sure time tracking is turned on in your company preferences.
- Select Edit, then Preferences.
- Select Time & Expenses.
- Select the Company Preferences tab.
- For Do you track time?, select Yes.
- Select Ok.
Make sure your employee is set up to use timesheets
Your employees have a setting in their profile for time tracking.
- Select Employees, then Employee Center.
- Double-click the employee in question.
- Select the Payroll Info tab.
- Under the Earnings box, be sure the Use time data to create paychecks checkbox is selected.
- In Pay Frequency, make sure you select how often your employee is paid. Also, be sure the Pay Period and Payroll Schedule are correct.
- Select Ok.
Check the pay period on your employee's timesheet
Make sure the hours worked fall within the same date range on the paycheck. Also check that a payroll item is being used on the timesheet.
- Select Employees, then Enter Time.
- Select Use Weekly Timesheet.
- Select the correct week. Make sure this falls in the date range on the paycheck.
- Make sure you selected a payroll item (i.e. Hourly, Overtime, Salary) for the hours tracked.
- If you made any changes, recreate the paycheck.
Change the pay period on the employee's paycheck
Did time tracking previously work? Try changing the Pay Period Ends date on the paycheck to a previous period to see if the time entered for that period shows up. If it does, change the pay period back to the current one, and see if the correct time shows up.
- From Enter Payroll Information, change the Pay Period Ends date.
- At the prompt to update the hours worked, select Yes to update from the timesheet.
Recreate the paycheck
If none of the above works or you made any changes above, you can try to recreate the paycheck.
- Select Employees, then Payroll Center.
- Select Pay Employees or Unscheduled Payroll.
- In the Enter Payroll Information window, right-click the employee's name whose paycheck was missing timesheet data. Select Revert Paycheck.
- Close the Enter Payroll Information window.
- Recreate the paycheck.