Use this guide to set up the TSheets and QuickBooks Desktop Integration using the Web Connector. If you are in the US and use QuickBooks Desktop 2018 or later, we recommend integrating via the direct method. See: Setup and use QuickBooks Desktop for Windows and TSheets integration.
Before you get started
- Turn on the “Full payroll” preferences
- Ensure your week start date matches in both QuickBooks and TSheets
- Ensure “Use time data to create paychecks” is checked in both the Company-wide preferences, and for each active employee
- Ensure all employees are set up with at least one payroll item (time is unable to transfer without at least one payroll item mapped)
- Be able to sign in as the main admin (username is generally “admin”)
- Be able to switch to single user mode
- Be on the computer you will be using to sync TSheets and QuickBooks Desktop because the sync can only be performed in one location.
- Ensure all users that need to have time exported to QuickBooks are added in QuickBooks as either an Employee or Vendor (including admins, if necessary).
These instructions assume that you are integrating QBD with an existing TSheets account. If you do not yet have a TSheets account, see How to Get TSheets on Your Computer.
All on the same computer:
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop.
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop company file that you want to integrate with TSheets, and sign in as the main administrator and in single user mode.
- Sign into TSheets as an administrator.
Install the TSheets Quickbooks integration add-on
- In TSheets, in the left menu, go to Feature Add-ons > Manage Add-ons.
- In the list, find QuickBooks Desktop Integration, and select Install.
- "Step 1: Select Options": make your selections for what information you want to bring over, and select Next. Selections include (these selections can be changed later in the Preferences):
- Delete all users: If you've already added employees into TSheets, they would not be linked with your QuickBooks account, so you can choose to archive them upon the first sync.
- Import Customers and Jobs: This imports all active customers and their jobs into your TSheets account to allow employees to track time against them. You can either assign them to all employees, or assign them individually later (uncheck assign imported Customers and Jobs). Note: If available, the customer's address will also sync into TSheets for the Nearby Jobs functionality.
- Show Service Items: Brings your Service Item list over as a list employees can pick from while tracking time.
- Show Billable: Gives employees an option to indicate whether the time they're tracking is billable or not.
- Show Class: Brings your Class list over as a list employees can pick from while tracking time.
- Import Vendors as Employees: If you have Vendors/Contractors that need to track time, you can choose to import them as users into TSheets.
- Only Import 1099 Vendors: Limits the Vendor import to only those with "Vendor eligible for 1099" checked in QBD.
- Your first QuickBooks sync will remove any jobs/customers you had set up in TSheets before the integration, so you may see a warning window. When this window displays, read the warning, and if you want to proceed, type delete, and select Continue.
- "Step 2: Set Up Web Connector": select Advanced/Manual Setup.
- Select the blue web_connector link, and open the downloaded file.
- In the security window, select OK.
- In the next security window, select Yes, whenever this QuickBooks company file is open > Continue.
- In the access confirmation window, click Done.
- In the TSheets Set Up Web Connector window, locate the password.
- Back on the Web Connector window, enter the 4 digit password and hit enter on your keyboard. Choose to save the password when prompted. Then, check the box to the left of the TSheets application and click Update Selected.
- After the sync completes, back in TSheets in the "Congratulations!" window, follow the next steps listed there, like How to Map Payroll Items.