Learn how to get the newest payroll tax table in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll to stay compliant with paycheck calculations.
You need an active QuickBooks Desktop Payroll subscription to update your tax table. We recommend updating your tax table every time you pay your employees. Find out if you have the latest tax table.
If you use QuickBooks Online Payroll, your tax tables are automatically updated. You don't need to take any action.
Download the latest tax table in QuickBooks Desktop
Note: As of January 2021, disk delivery was discontinued. You can no longer update your tax tables via CD.
- Select Employees, then select Get Payroll Updates.
- Select the Download Entire Update checkbox.
- Select Download Latest Update. An informational window appears when the download is complete.
Additional actions to make sure your paychecks are compliant
- Update QuickBooks to make sure you get the full functionality of payroll updates.
- Change your State Unemployment Insurance (SUI) rate. This isn't included in tax table updates since these rates are specific to your business.
- Complete setup of any new state taxes usually introduced at the start of a calendar year. You may need to go to the Payroll Center and start creating paychecks to get a prompt to set up a new tax for your state.