Pledges are donations paid at a later time. They are processed using the usual Receive Payment option available in all QuickBooks Edition. If you are receiving a credit card payment against a pledge, refer to Process a credit card payment in QuickBooks Desktop.
Donations, on the other hand, are paid right away. Donations are only available in QuickBooks Desktop Non-Profit edition and can only be processed as a type of receipt. Follow these steps to record a credit card donation:
- From the QuickBooks Nonprofit menu, select Enter Donations (Sales Receipts).
- When the payment window appears, complete the customer/order information as usual. However, be careful to accurately submit the following items for proper credit card processing. (If a supported USB card reader is attached, click the Swipe Card button in either of these windows):
- Payment Method (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover) - *make sure the process payment when saving box is checked
- Card Number/Expiration Date
- Amount of transaction
- When done, click the Save or Process Payment button.
- A new window appears to send the credit card information to us for processing. Confirm the credit card information and add any extra (non-required) information available:
- Street address
- Commercial card info if applicable
- Voice Authorization number if applicable
- Click the Submit button to complete the process. The card will either be approved or declined. If approved, this payment will appear in QuickBooks Desktop accordingly.