A Notice of Change (NOC) is a payroll return that Intuit receives from employees' financial institutions when the banking information for their direct deposit is incorrect. This means that the employee receives the money for their paycheck, but Intuit is given a warning stating that the employee information needs to be updated. When Intuit receives the warning, we send a NOC letter to the employer. This article explains how to respond to a NOC.
To update your employee's account information within QuickBooks Desktop:
- Choose Employees > Employee Center.
- On the left, double-click the employee's name.
- Click the Payroll Info tab.
- Click Direct Deposit.
Enter only the New Bank Account information that must be updated.
- Routing Number
- Account Number
- Type of Account
- In the Edit Employee window, click OK
- Choose Employees > Send Payroll Data. Ensure that the Send/Receive Payroll Data screen has no pending paycheck so that your employee's record is updated accordingly.
Note: Direct deposit paychecks created before you resolve the NOC will have the old bank account information. For paychecks to reflect the updated bank account information, do either of the following:
- Delete the paychecks from the check register and recreate them; OR
- Open each paycheck, clear the Use Direct Deposit box, and then click Save. Open the check again, select the Use Direct Deposit box, and then click Save
Note: If you want to call your employee's bank directly concerning this issue, ask to speak with the Automated Clearing House (ACH) department. Request that they verify the routing number, account number, and the account type (checking, savings, etc.).