Learn how to change your payroll form filing and tax deposit frequency in QuickBooks Online Payroll or QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.
If the IRS or your state agency sends you a new form filing or tax deposit schedule, you’ll need to update the info in your payroll product. This will help make sure you file the correct form and pay taxes on time.
Select which action you want to take, then select your payroll product.
- Set up or change your federal tax form (941, 944, 943)
- Set up or change your tax payment frequency
- Understand your tax form filing frequency
- Understand your tax payment frequency
|Note: Not sure which payroll service you have? Here's how to find your payroll service.|
Set up or change your federal tax form (941, 944, 943)
Set up or change your tax payment frequency
Understand your tax form filing frequency
- Form 941: Quarterly tax return (most common form)
- Form 944: Annual tax return (for business with a tax liability of less than $1000 in a year)
- Form 943: Annual tax return (Agricultural)
- Withholding: quarterly or annual depending on the state and your tax liability
- Unemployment: quarterly (IL also has monthly, but this isn’t supported by QuickBooks)
- Combined (CA, OR, NJ, NY): quarterly
Understand your tax payment frequency
The IRS has two deposit frequencies: semiweekly and monthly
Your due date depends on the day of the week you pay your employees.
- If your paycheck date is Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, your taxes are due the following Wednesday.
- If your paycheck date is Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday, your taxes are due Friday of the same week.
If you’re a monthly payroll tax depositor, your taxes for the current month are due by the 15th day of the following month. If the 15th falls on a weekend or a federal holiday, your taxes are due the next banking day.
- State withholding deposit frequencies vary. Check out your state withholding website for details.
- State unemployment frequency: quarterly