Learn how to set up QuickBooks Desktop Payroll so you can electronically pay your state payroll taxes and file state forms.
Paying your state payroll taxes and filing the necessary state forms on time throughout the year is an essential task. In QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced, you can pay taxes and file forms electronically for most states. This is the fastest and easiest way to make sure you stay compliant with the state agencies.
There’s a few set up tasks you need to complete before you can use e-file and e-pay in QuickBooks.
Do you use another QuickBooks Desktop Payroll product or need info on federal taxes and forms?
- If you use QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted, we file and pay your federal and state taxes and forms for you.
- If you use QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic or Standard, see Pay and file your federal and state payroll taxes and forms manually in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.
- Looking to set up e-file and e-pay for your federal taxes and forms? See Set up Federal e-file and e-pay in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced.
Step 1: Learn about state file and pay methods in QuickBooks
Each state tax has a specific method to make payments and file forms in QuickBooks. Select the State pay and file methods link below to learn how to handle your state forms and payments. Here are definitions to help you understand the different methods.
- E-file and e-pay together: The e-payment and e-filing are created in the same step and sent to the state agency at the same time.
- E-file and e-pay separately: The e-payment and e-filing are two different steps and can be created and sent to the state agency at different times.
- E-file only: You can e-file your form, but can’t use e-pay for tax payments. You can create and print the tax payment to send to the state agency.
- E-pay only: You can e-pay your tax payment, but can’t e-file your form. You can prepare and print the tax form to send to the state agency.
- No e-file/e-pay: You can’t pay taxes or file forms electronically in QuickBooks. You can create and print checks and state tax forms in QuickBooks to mail to the state agencies.
- Create file to upload: You can create a State Unemployment file in QuickBooks and manually upload it to the state agency.
Step 2: Register with your state agencies
If you’re not already registered with your State Withholding and State Unemployment Insurance tax agencies, you’ll need to so you can pay your taxes and file your forms. The agencies will provide you with an account number, your tax rates, deposit frequency, and if necessary, login credentials to their web sites for payments and forms.
Step 3: Set up scheduled payments in QuickBooks
Scheduled payments in QuickBooks help you keep track of when your payroll taxes are due so you don’t miss a payment. You can set up scheduled payments even if you can’t use e-payments in QuickBooks.
- Select Employees, select Payroll Taxes and Liabilities, and select Edit Payment Due Dates/Methods.
- Select Schedule payments.
- Select the state tax you want to schedule first, and select Edit.
- From Payment method, select Check or E-pay.
- Enter your state account number.
- Select your Payment Frequency provided to you from the state agency.
- Repeat steps 3-6 for each state tax. When finished, select Continue.
- Select the bank account you’ll use to track e-payments in QuickBooks, then select Edit. This should match the bank account you used to register with your state agencies.
- Enter or review the Account number and Routing number, then select Finish.
- For e-payments: review the info to make sure you’re correctly enrolled with the state agencies. You can print the info if needed, then close the Enrollments window.
- When you’re done, select Finish.
Check out this video on how to set up scheduled tax payments.
Step 4: Set up e-file in QuickBooks
If you’re able to e-file your payroll tax forms in QuickBooks, you’ll need to set this up.
- Select Employees, and select Payroll Center.
- From the File Forms tab, under Other Activities, select Manage Filing Methods.
- Select Continue.
- Select the state form you want to e-file, and then select Edit.
- Select e-file, then select Finish.
- Repeat steps 4-5 for each state form.
- When you’re done, select Continue, then Finish.
Check out this video on how to set up e-file.
What happens next
When you’re ready, e-file and e-pay your state forms and taxes.
If you need to file your state forms and pay your state taxes manually, see Pay and file state forms and taxes manually in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.