Learn how to set up e-file and e-pay in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll so you can pay and file your Federal 941/944 and 940 taxes and forms.
Paying your federal taxes and filing the necessary payroll forms on time throughout the year is an essential task. In QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced, you can pay and file your 941/944, 940 taxes, and forms electronically. This is the fastest and easiest way to make sure you stay compliant with the IRS.
Do you use another QuickBooks Desktop Payroll product or need info on state taxes and forms?
- If you’re using QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic/Standard, see Pay and file your payroll taxes and forms manually in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.
- If you’re using QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted, we pay and file your taxes and forms for you.
- If you need to set up state e-file and e-pay, see Set up state e-file and e-pay in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced
Enroll and set up for federal taxes e-payment
Step 1: Enroll in IRS Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
You only need to enroll in EFTPS once. If you’re not sure if you’re enrolled, contact the IRS 1.800.555.4477.
Step 2: Schedule and set up your tax payments to e-pay
- Go to Employees, select Payroll Taxes & Liabilities. Then select Edit Payment Due Dates/Methods.
- Select Schedule Payments. Then select Federal 941/944/943.
- In the Edit Payment Schedule window, change your payment method to E-pay.
- Select your payment frequency.
- Select E-pay accounts. Select the account type, and verify the bank info is correct.
- Select Finish.
Check out this video on how to schedule tax payments.
Enroll and set up e-file
Step 1: Set up your federal filing method
- Go to Employees, select Payroll Tax Forms & W-2s. Then select Process Payroll Forms.
- From the Other Activities list, select Manage Filing Methods.
- Select Filing Methods. Select a federal form (Federal 941/944/943 or Federal Form 940), then select Edit.
- Under “Select how you want to file the Form…”, select Filing As Responsible Individual (Owner/Partner/Corporate Officer) for a single FEIN.
- Select E-file, then select Finish.
If you haven’t enrolled in the IRS e-file program, continue with the steps below:
Step 2: Enroll in the IRS e-file program
- Under the Filing Methods screen, select Enrollments.
- Select IRS, then select Edit.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, verify your EIN, and enter your company’s legal name and address. Then select Next.
- Enter the name, job title, email address, and phone number of the person the IRS can contact about your enrollment and your payroll tax forms. Select Next.
Note: This person must be associated with your company and not be a third-party provider or accountant.
- Select Send Information.
Note: You'll need to wait up to 45 days to receive your 10-digit E-file PIN.
Lost 10-digit E-file PIN/Rejected Enrollment
Your QuickBooks Desktop enrollment will show Accepted when the agency receives your enrollment. You’ll get a 10-digit e-file PIN by mail. .
If the IRS rejected or didn’t receive your enrollment, follow steps 1 and 2 above to resend your request.
If you didn’t get a 10-digit e-file pin or lost it, contact IRS E-file services at 866.255.0654.
You can now start paying and filing your federal taxes electronically, see E-file and e-pay federal forms and taxes in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced.
If you need to file your state forms and pay your state taxes manually, See Pay and file your payroll taxes and forms manually in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.