Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct an employee Social Security Number and reprint their W-2 form

If you file an employee's W-2 form with an incorrect Social Security Number (SSN), you need to enter the correct SSN in the employee's record and then reprint the W-2 form for the employee.

You can reprint a W-2 form after correcting the employee's SSN.

You need to change your employee's SSN by editing their record. After you correct the number, you can print their W-2 form.

To change an employee's SSN and print the corrected W-2 form:

  1. Select Employees > Employee Center.
  2. Double-click the employee name.
  3. Click the Personal Info tab.
  4. Change the employee's SSN. Click OK.
  5. Print the W-2 form.

If you have already filed your employee's W-2 form with an incorrect SSN, you must file an amended W-2 form (W-2C) with the IRS. If your employee has already filed their personal income tax, your employee needs the amended W-2 form and needs to amend their personal income tax returns. The W-2C can be processed with QuickBooks Desktop, but you need to mail the corrected form because E-File does not support the W-2C form. For more information, see IRS Forms and Publications.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post

Need to get in touch?

Contact us