Learn how to amend or correct a W2 form.
Did you make a mistake on an employee's W2 form? We show you how to update this form, even if you've already filed taxes with the government.
(For a list of items that can be corrected on W-2c and W-3c along with specific instructions, see IRS General Instructions for Forms W-2 and W-3.)
Scenario 1: Your employees received incorrect W-2 forms, but you haven't filed yet.
Your employees received incorrect W-2 forms, but your company hasn't yet filed the incorrect W-2 forms.
- Reprocess all W-2 forms and a W-3 form with the correct amounts. File the corrected forms with the government.
- Issue a new W-2 form to each employee who previously received an incorrect W-2. On the employee's copies of the corrected form, write "Corrected" at the top of each copy. You do not have to issue a new W-2 if the previous one was correct.
- If the employee has not yet filed a tax return, they should file using the new W-2 and destroy the previous one.
- If the employee has already filed a tax return with an incorrect W-2, they must file an amended return using Form 1040X and the corrected Form W-2. For these forms, visit the IRS Web site.
Scenario 2: Your employees received incorrect W-2 forms, and your company has already filed
Scenario 2: Your employees received an incorrect W-2 forms, and your company already filed the incorrect W-2 forms with the government.
Prepare Form W-2c for each employee who received an incorrect W-2 form. Also prepare Form W-3c to accompany the W-2c forms. File the W-2c forms and the W-3c form with the government.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop, select Employees, then Payroll Center.
- In the Payroll Center, select the File Forms tab.
- Select Annual Form W-2c/W-3c - corrected Wage and Tax Statement. After selecting the form, select Create Form.
- Next to Process W-2s for select to choose all employees or a last name range.
- Under Select Filing Period, confirm that the correct period is entered.
- Select OK.
- In Select Employees for Form W-2/W-3 choose the employees who should receive a W-2c. Select Review/Edit.
- Answer the question in the Interview Page: Have you made the W-2 corrections in QuickBooks Desktop?
- If Yes - The current QuickBooks Desktop data will appear in the Correct information column on the W-2c. Review each W-2c worksheet and enter the Previously reported amount for the items that should be corrected.
- If No - The current QuickBooks Desktop data will appear in the Previously reported column on the W-2c. Review each W-2c worksheet and enter the Correct information amount for the items that should be corrected.
- Review each page and select Next as needed.
- On the page titled Form W-2c Worksheet, under the Employer's name, check the box Check if this is a W-2c (corrected W-2) if there are changes to be made for the W-2 of that specific employee.
- Make sure to only fill out the lines that need corrections. Fill out the columns for both the Previously reported and the Correct Information.
- Erase the other lines that are already correct by right clicking on the amount/figure and selecting Override. Erase the figure on the specific line.
- QuickBooks Desktop will only print the forms if both the columns for the Previously reported and Corrected amounts are filled out.
For State Correction Information, if there's a need to make a correction on lines 16 or 17, make sure to fill the State and ID fields on both Previously reported and Correct information. Fill out the correct amount on the specific line (16 or 17) that needs a correction and then if the other line doesn't need a correction (16 or 17), put a 0 (zero) on that line for both .Previously reported amount and Correct information. Do the same for the Local Correction Information on lines 18, 19 and 20.
Issue the corrected W-2c
- Issue the W-2c form to each employee who received an incorrect W-2 form.
- If the employee has not yet filed his or her tax return, the employee should file Form W-2c along with the incorrect Form W-2. Form W-2c only reports corrections to Form W-2 and may not have all the information necessary to complete the tax form.
- If the employee has already filed an incorrect W-2 form, the employee should file an amended return, using Form 1040X and the new W-2c form. For these forms, visit the IRS Web site.
If your company has submitted incorrect W-2 forms to a state or local agency, file W-2c forms with the appropriate correction form as required by your state or local agency.Contact your state or local tax agency to confirm the correct procedures.
Note: At this time, QuickBooks Desktop can only print W-2c/W-3c forms on perforated paper, not pre-printed forms. E-filing is not an option.