Learn how to update to the latest release of QuickBooks Desktop.
You can update your QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release either automatically or manually. If you turn on Automatic Update, you're allowing QuickBooks to download the latest updates as they are released.
If you wish to turn this feature off, we recommend manually updating QuickBooks once a month.
A few words about upgrading
Updating to a new release (example: R3P to R5P) usually requires a minor change to the database and doesn't require you to update your company file(s).
This is different than upgrading to a new product version (example: 2017 to 2018) where the changes are major and do require you to update your company file.
Do you have the latest QuickBooks Desktop patch?
- With QuickBooks Desktop open, press the F2 key (or Ctrl+1) on your keyboard.
- On the Product Information window, check the current version and release.
- Check the latest release available for your product:
Automatic update: 2 options
Option 1: Download and install automatic update NOW
- From the QuickBooks Help menu, select Update QuickBooks.
- On the Update QuickBooks window, go to the Update Now tab. You can ignore the table because you don't need to change anything.
- (Optional) Put a check mark in the box Reset Update box to erase all previous update downloads.Note: This may increase the amount of time needed for the update.
- Select Get Updates.
- Restart QuickBooks. When prompted, accept the option to install the new release.
Option 2: Download automatically in the future
- From the Help menu, select Update QuickBooks.
- On the Update QuickBooks window, go to the Options tab.
- To turn on automatic updates, select the radio button for Yes.
- (Optional) To share automatic downloads with other computers on your network, select the radio button for Yes.
- Select Close. QuickBooks will now download the update when it's released.
To update QuickBooks Database Server Manager, see Install, Update, and Set up the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Manual update: 3 options
Option 1: From within QuickBooks Desktop
- Close your company file(s), then close QuickBooks.
- Right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon on your desktop, then select Run as administrator.
- While on the No Company Open screen, go to the Help menu, then choose Update QuickBooks...
- Go to the Options tab, select Mark All. then select Save.
- Go to the Update Now tab, then mark the Reset Update box.
- Select Get Updates button.
- When Update Complete appears, close QuickBooks Desktop.
- Reopen QuickBooks Desktop. If you get the message to install update, select Yes.
- When the installation is complete, restart your computer.
If you have a Payroll subscription, download the latest payroll tax table to process payroll in QuickBooks Desktop. Note that your Payroll subscription must be active.
Download latest tax tablehere.
Option 2: Download from the Internet
- Go to the Downloads & Updates page.
- From the Select Product drop-down, select your QuickBooks product.
- From the Select Version drop-down, select the appropriate version or year.
- Select Search.
- Select Get the latest updates, then Save/Save File to download the update.
- When the download completes, double-click to install the update. You may need to restart Windows after the installation finishes.
To manually install updates across your network, you can:
- Access the install file on your computer from another computer; or
- Copy the install file to a flash drive, then to the desktop of another computer
Option 3: Critical Fixes (ULIP)
ULIP (Ultra Light Patch) is a feature in QuickBooks Desktop where minor critical fixes can be delivered without the need for an actual release patch. The patch release process will continue as is (R releases such as 2017 R5).
Use the same steps as Option 2 to apply the critical fixes. Ensure Critical Fixes is selected before you download the updates.