Learn how to move your QuickBooks Self-Employed data to QuickBooks Online.
Is your business growing quickly? Congrats on your success!
If you need even more room to grow, move on to QuickBooks Online. When you're ready to switch, we'll show you how to import your data and switch your subscription.
Note: You currently can't switch from QuickBooks Self-Employed to QuickBooks Desktop. You also can't go back to QuickBooks Self-Employed once you switch to QuickBooks Online.
Step 1: Save your financial reports
Before you start, download all of your work from QuickBooks Self-Employed. This is optional, but it's a good idea to hold on to your work for your records.
- In QuickBooks Self-Employed, go to the Reports menu.
- In the Tax details section, select a tax year.
- Select Download to get a Tax Details report.
- Download a report for each tax year you have in QuickBooks.
Step 2: Move your data to QuickBooks Online
Check whether you can automatically move your data into QuickBooks Online. Select the Gear icon and select Billing info.
If you see the Explore QuickBooks Online plans, select it to start the upgrade.
If you don't see this option, don't worry. It means you'll need to manually move your data. We'll show you how to do that in the next section.
If you see the Explore QuickBooks option
Check out the different QuickBooks Online plans. When you decide the one that's best for you:
- Select Switch plan or Choose plan for the QuickBooks Online plan you want.
- Follow the on-screen steps. Note: If you want to save a copy of your reports before you move everything, select the Download your reports link.
- Select Bring my data if you want to choose which data you move over. If you don't want to move any data and start fresh, select Start fresh.
- When you're ready to move your data to QuickBooks Online, select To QuickBooks Online. If you see a billing info review screen, select Change plan to start.
The transfer can take some time. When it's done, you're ready to start your new accounting experience in QuickBooks Online.
You can still move data to QuickBooks Online manually. we'll show you how to import your data, start your QuickBooks Online subscription, and cancel QuickBooks Self-Employed.
Step 1: Download your QuickBooks Self-Employed data
Download your transactions in a CSV file and upload them into QuickBooks Online. Even if you decide not to import everything, it's a good idea to download all of your transactions for your records.
- In QuickBooks Self-Employed, select the Transactions menu.
- Select the transaction types, accounts, and time period you want to download from the dropdown menus.
- Select the download icon at the top of the transaction list.
- Save the file somewhere that's easy to find, like your Windows desktop.
- In QuickBooks Self-Employed, select the Transactions menu.
- Select Add transaction.
- Enter the date, transaction description, and amount.
- Select Apply, then select a Province for sales tax.
- Select sales tax on invoices, enter a Business Number.
- Select a category type to download from the drop-down menus.
- Enter notes, browse and upload a receipt.
- Select Save.
- Select the download icon to the right of CATEGORY for the CSV file.
- Save it somewhere that's easy to find, like your Windows desktop.
Tip: You can also use a third-party app like Transaction Pro and Excel Importer to import them into QuickBooks Online.
Step 2: Sign up for QuickBooks Online
Next, follow the steps to sign up for QuickBooks Online.
After you transfer your data over, you can cancel your QuickBooks Self-Employed subscription.
Step 3: Move your transactions to QuickBooks Online
Now you're ready to move your data. Before you upload anything, think about how much data you want to keep in QuickBooks Online.
If you plan to connect the same bank and credit card accounts you used in QuickBooks Self-Employed, you don't need to move any transactions. Instead, follow the steps to connect your accounts. QuickBooks will automatically download several months of recent transactions. The Online Banking feature saves time and avoids importing duplicates.
But if you don't plan to connect the same accounts, upload your CSV file into QuickBooks Online:
- Sign in to your new QuickBooks Online company.
- Select Settings and then Import Data.
- Select Bank Data.
- In the Get your info from your bank section, select Browse.
- Find and select the CSV file you downloaded, select Open. Then select Next.
- From the QuickBooks Account ▼ drop-down menu, select the account you want to move the transactions into.
- Select Next.
- If you don't have any accounts yet, here's how to create new ones.
- Match the statement fields from the CSV with the ones in QuickBooks Online. Then select Next.
- Select the transactions you want to move to QuickBooks Online. Then select Next.
- Select Yes, then select Let’s go.
Note: Although QuickBooks Self-Employed exports in the exported file, QuickBooks Online may not keep them when you import the file. These categories are based on a Schedule C. QuickBooks Online doesn't use the same categories.
Once your transactions are in QuickBooks Online, go to the Banking menu, then select Banking. Follow the steps to review and categorize your transactions.
Step 4: Cancel your QuickBooks Self-Employed subscription
Once you have all your data in QuickBooks Online, you can cancel your subscription. Follow the steps based on where you purchased QuickBooks Self-Employed.
Note: Uninstalling the QuickBooks Self-Employed app on your mobile device won't cancel your subscription. Learn more about cancelling subscriptions on iOs and Android.
Purchased directly from QuickBooks or Intuit
- Open QuickBooks Self-Employed in a web browser on your laptop or desktop. You can't cancel from the QuickBooks mobile app.
- Select your Business Name next to Settings ⚙. Then select Billing info.
- Select Cancel your account and follow the onscreen steps.
Purchased from the Apple App Store (iOS)
- On your iPhone or iPad, open Settings for your device.
- Select iTunes App Store.
- Sign in to your apple account. Then select your Apple ID.
- Select View Apple ID.
- Under Active, select Manage.
- Select QuickBooks Self-Employed and then Cancel Subscription.
Purchased from the Google Play Store (Android)
- On your phone or tablet, open Google Play.
- Sign in to your Google account.
- Select the Menu ☰ icon.
- In the Subscriptions section, look for QuickBooks Self-Employed.
- Select Cancel and follow the onscreen steps.
If you have a free trial
Your 30-day QuickBooks Self-Employed trial expires automatically. Since you didn't give us any billing info, we won't bill you.