Learn how to get the latest transactions from your bank and credit card accounts.
When you connect a bank account to online banking, QuickBooks Online automatically downloads transactions every night. If you don't want to wait for the scheduled download, you can refresh the connection to get the latest available transactions.
In this article, you'll learn:
- How to download the latest bank and credit card transactions
- When QuickBooks downloads transactions
- How to manually download transactions for banks that aren't connected to QuickBooks
Download the latest bank and credit card transactions
- Go to Transactions, then select Bank transactions (Take me there).
- Select Update.
- If asked, enter your Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). Then select Continue update.
You can keep working in QuickBooks while the accounts update. It can take a few minutes.
If you ever see issues or errors, here's how to fix online bank connections.
When QuickBooks downloads transactions
American Express accounts
Most financial institutions allow both nightly downloads and manual updates. American Express accounts are slightly different.
- Some American Express accounts: American Express limits the frequency of automatic downloads. QuickBooks Online may only download transactions 2-3 times a week instead of every night. You can always update the connection to get the latest transactions between automatic downloads.
- American Express OPEN accounts using Connect to American Express OPEN: American Express downloads newly posted transactions nightly. But with this connection, you can't update to get transactions between nightly downloads.
All other bank and credit card accounts
QuickBooks Online automatically downloads new transactions every night.
Manually download transactions for accounts that are not connected to QuickBooks
For transactions from banks that are not connected to QuickBooks, follow the instructions in Manually upload transactions into QuickBooks Online.