Get answers to common and frequently asked questions about Intuit Data Protect (IDP).
If you are running into problems using Intuit Data Protect, see Troubleshoot Common Intuit Data Protect (IDP) Problems.
|Reminder: Intuit Data Protect only works on a Windows computer. It won’t work on a Mac, or a Mac computer running on Windows Parallel.|
Intuit Data Protect Basics
Intuit Data Protect Installation and Setup
Backup and Restore
We offer several options. Most notably, Intuit Data Protect is provided at no additional charge with all QuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus, Premier Plus and all Enterprise Subscriptions.
Compare our products here.
|Intuit Data Protect Options||Monthly Fee||Annual Fee|
|Back up your QuickBooks file only (Company Data Plan)||$4.95||$49.95|
|Back up your entire PC (Entire PC Plan)||$9.95||$99.95|
Note: Annual subscriptions include a 60-day money back guarantee.
Intuit Data Protect is a new backup service that fully integrates with QuickBooks versions 2016 and later. It provides status alerts on the QuickBooks Home page to let you know if your data is protected. With a choice of service plan options, you can focus on the data you need to protect without worrying about storage limits. You get enhanced backup capabilities that let you back up files while you're using them. And, it's easy to restore data if you need to.
Intuit Data Protect only works with QuickBooks 2016 and newer, while QuickBooks Online Backup works with all versions of QuickBooks. You can run both services concurrently, although there's no reason to have QuickBooks Online Backup if you're using Data Protect.
Intuit Data Protect is automatically installed with QuickBooks 2016 and newer. There is no option in QuickBooks or in Control Panel to remove Intuit Data Protect.
- You will not see the icon for Intuit Data Protect (green padlock) unless you have signed up and have an active service.
- If you cancel your service and want to prevent Intuit Data Protect from loading:
- In the System Tray (by the clock), right-click the Intuit Data Protect icon, then choose Exit Intuit Data Protect.
- You may also need to remove Intuit Data Protect from your startup folder: Choose Start > All Programs > Startup (option names vary by Windows version), then right-click Intuit Data Protect, and delete it.
- Open Intuit Data Protect, then select Restore from Backup.
- Select the date and time of the backup you want to restore, then choose the file/s and select Continue.
- Choose the location for the restored file, then choose Restore.
The length of time depends on the size of your company file and the speed of your Internet service. Your first backup takes much longer than subsequent backups because all of the files are being backed up from scratch. Also, when you back up your QuickBooks data, all of the supporting files needed to re-create your company file and QuickBooks environment are backed up as well. If the backup is taking too long here are some things you can try:
- Select one folder at a time - Keep in mind that some file folders have lots files, or the files are quite large. Select one file and continue. You can always come back later and back up the rest.
- Select specific QuickBooks data to back up - By default, all of your QuickBooks data files are selected. If you have data files that are quite large, you can de-select them and then come back later to back them up. It's faster to back up these files individually. After your initial backup, you can reset the default to back up all data files.