Learn how to change or update the info you have on file for your employees in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.
If you use QuickBooks Online or Intuit Online payroll, here's how to add or edit an employee in Online Payroll.
Keep your employee info up to date by changing it in QuickBooks Desktop. Before you start, you need a copy of the employee’s W-4 form to complete these changes.
Here's what you can change:
- Personal information
- Address and contact
- Payroll information (salary, additions, deductions..)
- Employment information (employment dates, employment status, leave of absence...)
- Worker’s Comp code & additional info
How to update employee information
- Go to Employees, then select Employee center.
- Double-click the name of the employee.
- Choose a tab and make the necessary changes.
- When you're done, select OK.
How to delete an employee
QuickBooks won't let you delete employees with paychecks or pay history. You can remove the paychecks only if this will not affect your books. Instead, you can hide them from your employee list.
Need to update employment status?
If you need to update an employee’s employment status (terminate or lay off employees), you need to create their final paycheck first.