Learn how to move your data from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
Things will look different after you export your data to QuickBooks Desktop. Learn more about what data does and doesn't export from QuickBooks Online.
Here's a quick video that gives an overview of the process.
Step 1: Download QuickBooks Desktop
- If you haven't already, download and install QuickBooks Desktop on your computer. If you don't have a license to QuickBooks Desktop, you can download a trial to use for this process.
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go to File and select Close Company. Leave QuickBooks Desktop open while you complete the rest of the steps.
Note: currently the conversion process only supports QuickBooks Desktop for Windows. Once the conversion is complete you can then try converting to QuickBooks for Mac.
Step 2: Sign in to QuickBooks Online and download the migration tool
- Sign in to the QuickBooks Online account you want to convert using a supported web browser. Use your Intuit Account credentials.
- Highlight the URL and replace anything after /app/ with exportqbodatatoqbdt. The URL should say https://cxx.qbo.intuit.com/app/exportqbodatatoqbdt. XX in the URL is a number, (don't edit the number) and select Enter on your keyboard. Other support task links won't work during this process.
- You'll see an Export Overview Window. Read the Export Overview. You can print it if you'd like. Select Get Started.
- Select Download tool to download the QuickBooks Desktop migration tool.
- Once you download the tool, launch the tool to install it and select Next.
- Accept the terms in the license agreement and select Next,
- Choose Complete as the type of setup, select Next and then Install.
- Select Finish.
Step 3: Prepare file for export and select your data in QuickBooks Online for export
- Go back to QuickBooks Online. You should still be on the Step 1: Prepare to export window. Select Continue.
- Choose what data you want to export. You can export all data with transactions or just list and balances. Select Continue.
- Select Learn about the limitations of converting data for QuickBooks Desktop to learn about limitations that can impact your migration and select Continue.
- Enter the Name and email address you want the migration confirmation email sent to and select Continue.
- Select Close on the email confirmation screen to go back to your QBO file. Wait for your email confirmation. The email may take some time. It depends on the amount of data you migrate.
- You'll need to get back to the export screen in QuickBooks Online. Repeat the previous steps in Step 2 to get back to the export page and then select Get Started.
- On the Prepare to export page, select Continue.
- On the Select your data page, choose the same option you chose previously and select Continue.
- On the Exporting from QuickBooks Online page, you'll have a message that says you already have a file to download. Select Continue to Download.
- Select Download QBXML file. If QuickBooks prompts you to save the file, choose a location easy to find, like your desktop and select Continue.
- In QuickBooks Desktop, make sure you're on the No Company Open screen. If you have a company open, go to File and select Close company. View your reports to compare your data before and after the export.
Step 4: Run the QuickBooks Desktop migration tool
- Ensure that QuickBooks Desktop is open at the No Company Open screen.
- Launch the QuickBooks Desktop migration tool app that was downloaded from step 2.
- Enter (or Browse to) the path to the downloaded QBXML file and select Import.
- Choose a location and name for your new QuickBooks Desktop file.
- Look for the QuickBooks - Application Certificate. It may be hidden behind other screens if QuickBooks Desktop is in the background. Select the read/modify rights and if you want to allow personal data access. Select Continue and Done on the confirmation screen.
- Select Done once your data has been imported successfully.
Important: It may take some time for this process to finish. Even if it looks like it's frozen, it doesn't mean the export has failed. Give it a few minutes and the progress bar will move again.
If the status bar doesn't appear to move
Check QuickBooks Desktop for an Application Certificate again.
- In your Windows Taskbar, select the QuickBooks desktop icon to open it. The Application Certificate will appear.
- In the Application Certificate, select Yes, prompt each time. T
- Select Continue and Done on the confirmation screen.
For more info on the migration tool, check out our QuickBooks Desktop Migration Tool FAQs
Step 5: Verify your info exported correctly
After you export your company, use the Profit and Loss report to make sure your books match. Run one in QuickBooks Online and compare it to the same report in QuickBooks Desktop.
Note: When comparing reports, run them in Accrual basis for them to match.
Step 6: (Optional) Cancel QuickBooks Online
If you no longer need QuickBooks Online, find out how to cancel your plan.