Learn how to remove an employee's profile from your Intuit or QuickBooks payroll system.
If you added an employee to payroll on accident, or never hired them, simply remove their profile. As long as the employee doesn't have pay history or any paychecks, you can delete their profile. Here's how to delete an employee profile from any QuickBooks or Intuit payroll product.
Important: Don't delete employees with paychecks or pay history. You may accidentally delete important tax info for W-2s. If you let an employee go, change their employee status instead.
Delete an employee profile
Follow the steps for your payroll product.
Your steps depend on which product you have.
QuickBooks Online Payroll
- Go to the the Payroll menu and select the Employees tab.
- Select the employee's name. If the employee isn't on the list, select All employees from the Active Employees dropdown.
- Select Edit Employee.
- Select Delete employee.
- Select Yes to confirm the deletion.
QuickBooks Desktop Payroll
- Go to the Employees menu and select Employee Center.
- Right-click on the name of the employee. If the employee isn't on the list, select All employees from the Active Employees dropdown.
- Select Delete Employee.
- Select OK to confirm.
Intuit Online Payroll
- Select the Employees tab.
- Select the employee's name. If the employee is currently not active, select All Employees from the Show drop-down list.
- Select Delete this employee.
- Select Delete to confirm.