When you receive a bill from a vendor, QuickBooks Online makes it easy to record it and pay it when it's due.
Here, you'll learn how to enter a bill, and how to pay bills using either the Pay Bills page, which lets you pay multiple bills and multiple vendors at the same time, or using the Check page, which provides more information about a bill, but is better suited to paying one vendor at a time.
First, you need to record your bills:
- Go to the Create ⨁ icon, then select Bill.
- From the Vendor ▼ drop-down menu, choose your preferred vendor.
- From the Terms ▼ drop-down menu, choose your preferred bill's term. The terms show when the vendor expects payment.
- Verify the Bill date and specify the Due date for the bill.The bill date is when it's created, entered, or received, and the due date is when you must pay your vendor.
- In the Bill no. field, enter a number or reference to distinguish this bill from others from the same vendor.
- From the Location ▼ drop-down menu, choose a location to assign the invoice to a specific work site or business segment.
You must turn on Location tracking to see this field.
- Enter the other needed information under the Category and Item details, then select Save and close.
You can now decide whether to pay it from the Pay Bills or Check page.
The Pay Bills screen lets you track bills you have entered and the ones that are due, and lets you pay multiple bills at the same time. To sort and filter the list found on the Pay Bills page, you'll need to know the following:
Filtering: By default, the list shows bills due within the previous 365 days, but you can use the options available from Filter to filter the list. You can filter for:
- bills due on a certain Due Date.
- bills in a date range you specify.
- bills due on or before a certain date (enter the date in the To field and leave the From field empty).
- bills only for a specific Payee.
- bills from specific Locations (if you have turned on Location tracking in Account and Settings).
- bills in Overdue status only.
Sorting: To sort by a particular column, select the header of that column. To sort in descending order, select the header again. You can sort the Pay Bills list by:
- Ref. No.
- Due Date
- Open Balance columns (if you sort by Payee or Open Balance, bills with that payee or balance are listed in date order).
The Pay Bills page remembers your sorting preference, and the list will be sorted the same way the next time you open the page.
|Tip Filter first, sort second! If you filter the list before you sort it, you'll probably find the transactions you're looking for faster.|
You can also change the number of rows displayed using the options available from the Gear icon, located above the Total Amount column.
The Pay Bills page is where you can multiple bills for multiple vendors at one time.
- Go to the Create ⨁ icon, then select Pay Bills.
- Select the appropriate Payment account and enter or verify the Payment date.
The Payment account is the account from which you pay the bills. To pay one bill from different accounts (for example, part by check and part by credit card), or to record separate payments on different days, you must enter each partial payment separately.
- If you select a checking account, verify or change the Starting check no.
- (Optional) Select Filter to narrow the list of bills to view only those you specify, and select Apply.
- Select the checkbox for each bill to pay.
- Enter the amount of the Payment to be applied to the open bill.
If available, you can specify the amount of any credit to apply in the Credit Applied column.
- Select Save and print, Save, or Save and close.
The selected bills are marked as paid and the checks are prepared for printing from the Print Checks window.
You can easily apply partial credits to multiple bills from the same vendor.
If the Vendor has a credit, the credit amount is listed in the Credit Applied column. You can enter the amount of the available credit you want to apply to that bill.
As you proceed with the bill details, the available credit amount updates to reflect how much of that credit is still left.
The Check page is the place to pay bills for one vendor at a time, get information about individual bills, and directly control how vendor credits are applied.
- Go to the Create ⨁ icon, then select Check.
- From the Payee ▼ drop-down menu, choose your preferred payee.
If you select a payee with an outstanding bill, the Add to Check panel appears.
- From the Bank account ▼ drop-down menu, choose where the money will be withdrawn.
- In the Add to Check panel, select Add to pay an open bill or Add all to pay all open bills and apply any Vendor credit.
- From the Location ▼ drop-down menu, choose the location to assign the bill.
You must turn on Location tracking to see this field.
- Enter the total amount of the check in the Amount field.
- For multiple bills, in the Outstanding Transactions section, select the checkboxes of the bills to pay with the check, and enter a Payment amount for each. You can use one check to pay any number of bills and split the payment across them.
- (Optional) Make a notation about the check in the Memo field or add Attachments (such as a PDF copy of the receipt).
- Select Print check.
- Select Save and close. Alternatively, you can select Save and new to create a new check for another bill.