Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct or amend W-2 forms

Learn how to correct or amend filed W2 forms.

Have you already filed a W2, but need to change something on it? You can. We'll answer your questions in the sections below.

Note Online Payroll does not support filing of amended Forms W-2c and W-3c.

If there's a mistake on an already-filed W-2 form, you can correct it by filing a Form W-2c, Corrected Wage and Tax Statement. When Form W-2c is sent to the Social Security Administration (SSA), it must be accompanied by Form W-3c, Transmittal of Corrected Wage and Tax Statements.
Corrections reported on Form W-2c might require you to file Form 941-X, Adjusted Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return or Claim for Refund. If you misreported wages in a quarter and have to file W-2c, you're required to file a Form 941-X. This is for the quarter in which the correction was made. This filing is independent of the W-2c filing.
Just like Form W-2, Form W-2c consists of six parts. Different parts are given to the employee, the SSA, and the state or local tax agency, if applicable. Copy A of Form W-2c must be sent to the SSA along with Form W-3c, which totals the information from all the W-2c forms being submitted. (You can obtain this information from the Tax and Wage Summary Report.)
Use Form W-3c to send Copy A of Form W-2c to the SSA. Form W-3c is required to be filed with a single Form W-2c as well as with multiple Forms W-2c. You can file Form W-3c separately if you are correcting only your federal Employer Identification Number on a previously filed Form W-3.

Refer to the General Instructions for Forms W-2c and W-3c, which is a section of the IRS General Instructions for Forms W-2 and W-3 . If you have specific questions, call the Social Security Administration at 888.772.2970.

Print file

You can file Forms W-2c and W-3c on paper. Enter all information using dark  ink in a 12-point Courier font, if possible. Make sure all copies are legible. To request the paper forms, call the IRS at 800.TAX.FORM. (Note: You cannot download official W-2c and W-3c forms from the IRS website. You can only view informational versions of the W-2c and W-3c.)

Electronic file
You can also file electronically through the SSA Business Services Online at

If you are required to file 250 or more Forms W-2c during a calendar year, you must file them electronically unless the IRS grants you a waiver. You can request a waiver on Form 8508, Request for Waiver From Filing Information Returns Electronically.

File Forms W-2c and W-3c as soon as possible after you discover an error. Also provide Form W-2c to employees as soon as possible.

Social Security Administration Data Operations Center
P.O. Box 3333
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18767-3333

If you use a carrier other than the U.S. USPS, send Forms W-2c and W-3c to:
Social Security Administration Data Operations Center
Attn: W-2c Process
1150 E. Mountain Drive
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702-7997

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post

Need to get in touch?

Contact us