Learn how to send your state W-2s to your state agency using QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced.
Depending on your state, you can either create your W-2s and upload Copy 1 directly to your state agency, or file them electronically with QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced.
Do you have a different payroll product?
If you use a different QuickBooks or Intuit payroll service, your state W-2s are automatically sent to the state when your Federal W-2s are filed.
Note: Not sure which payroll service you have? Here's how to find your payroll service.
If you're in any of the states listed here
|District of Columbia||Maryland||New Mexico||West Virginia|
Step 1: Create your W-2s to send to your state
Follow these steps for creating the file you'll send to the state.
- Select Employees, then Payroll Tax Forms & W-2s, and then create State W-2 E-file.
- Select Continue twice.
- Select your state from the dropdown, then select Get QuickBooks Data.
- Select OK. If you need to, fix any errors or add missing info.
- Select the Add-Ins tab to locate the QuickBooks Payroll State W-2 dropdown and choose Start Interview.
- Check the box I understand that I must review my data and answer the following questions. Then select Next.
- Note the file name and location. Select Next.
- Answer the questions in the interview and review any auto-populated info.
- Select Next until you reach the End of Interview.
- Choose Create W-2 File, then select OK.
- Select Yes to save the Excel workbook for your records.
Step 2: Go to your state agency website
Open a web browser and go to your state agency website. If you need help finding your state agency website, see our Payroll Tax Compliance Links.
Note: If you’re in Hawaii, you’ll need to mail in your W-2s to the state.
Step 3: Upload your state W-2s
Once you’re on your state agency website, follow their instructions to upload your file. Some states have specific file requirements, so make sure your W-2 file meets them.
If you're in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Utah, Virginia or Wisconsin
You can electronically file your W-2s through QuickBooks.
- Open QuickBooks.
- Select Employees, then Payroll Tax Forms & W-2s, and then Process Payroll Forms.
- In the File Forms section, select your state worksheet.
- Review the Select Filing Period year and change it if you need to.
- Select Ok.
- Fill out the W-2 worksheet and select Check for errors to make sure everything is correct before e-filing.
- When you’re ready, select E-file.
- Enter your email address and contact phone number.
- Select Submit.
If you're in New Jersey
Follow the State of New Jersey's instructions to file your state W-2s.
If you're in California, Iowa or New York
You don’t need to file a separate state W-2. It’s included with your Federal W-2 file.
If you're in Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington or Wyoming
You don’t need to file any state W-2s, as your state doesn’t have any state withholding tax.