Learn how to change your company file from a QuickBooks for Mac file to QuickBooks for Windows.
Moving from QuickBooks for Mac to Windows? You don’t have to start over—just convert your company file and you’re good to go.
Step 1: Get your company file ready
- Remove any memos longer than 50 characters or that contain special characters such as !@#$%^&*.
- Go to the Reports menu, then select Custom Transaction Detail Report.
- From the Dates drop-down, select All Dates.
- Double-click on a transaction with a memo.
- Delete the memo, then select Save.
- Close the transaction window.
- Repeat steps c to e for all the other transactions.
- Re-sort lists.
- Run verify and rebuild on your company file.
- Close QuickBooks.
Step 2: Convert your company file
- Update QuickBooks for Mac to the latest release.
- Open the file as the administrator.
- Go to the File menu, then select Export. Select To QuickBooks for Windows.
- If you are prompted to verify before backup, select Skip Verify.
- Name the file and choose the folder you want to save it in, then select Save.Note: Make sure you don't add special characters in the file name.
- Enter and confirm your password, then select OK.
- Select OK on the confirmation window.
- Move the file to your Windows computer by using any storage device such as DVD, flash drive, etc.
- Restore the file in QuickBooks for Windows.