How to run Advanced Payroll | Get started tutorial
How to run payroll in QuickBooks Advanced Payroll
Once you’ve set up Advanced Payroll and added employees’ details, it’s easy to complete your first pay run.
- Meet the needs of employees, from pensions to payslips.
- Stay compliant with direct RTI reporting to HMRC.
- Get your journal report sent to your QuickBooks Online account.
Step 1 of 3
- Click New pay run from the top right of the dashboard, then select the correct pay schedule from the drop-down menu. If this is your first pay run you’ll get a prompt asking you to select the date your pay period ends.
Step 2 of 3
- Enter the date that your employees will be paid. If you need to manually add employees to the pay run you can do that here, too.
- Click Create to see a breakdown of payments. By clicking on the arrow next to an employee's name, you can see more details and add notes. Before you finalise your payroll, click on the Warnings tab to see any potential issues need to be resolved.
Step 3 of 3
- Click on the Actions tab and then Finalise pay run.
- On the next screen you can submit your real-time information to HMRC, either manually or automatically. You’ll be reminded that you’re about to finalise payroll, with the date that you’re paying your employees publishing your pay slips.
- Click Finalise and a journal will be exported to your QBO account
Need more help?
Visit support site
Search thousands of help articles on our Support Site.Go to support
Use help button
Use the help button from any page within QuickBooks Online to search articles or connect with an expert.Sign in
Ask the community
Get help and links to useful resources from other small businesses using QuickBooks.Go to community