Learn how to update your EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System) Internet password.
|NOTE: Effective October 24, 2019 IRS is implementing the following requirements for your EFTPS Internet password:
If you are the owner of an EFTPS account, you can reset your EFTPS Internet password. To do so, you need to have your Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), PIN, and Internet password.
When you change your Internet password, your new password must meet the security requirements. Secure passwords must have 12-30 characters and contain:
- At least one uppercase alpha (for example, A, B, or C)
- One lowercase alpha (for example, a, b, or c)
- At least one numeral (for example, 1, 2, 3) or one of the following special characters:!, @, #, $, *, +, -
Change your EFTPS Internet password
To change your EFTPS Internet password:
- Go to the EFTPS website: www.eftps.gov/eftps
- On the home page, select Login.
- Enter your Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), PIN, and your current Internet password to log in.
- Update your Internet Password to meet the new security requirements.
After changing your Internet password, you must wait one hour before sending a federal e-payment.
For help with changing your Internet password, call EFTPS Support at 1.800.982.3526.
Change your password in QuickBooks Desktop
If you use E-Pay in QuickBooks Desktop, you should change your password in QuickBooks Desktop to match your new EFTPS Internet password the next time you make an e-payment.
See Enroll in Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) for more information.
To change your password in QuickBooks Desktop when making an e-payment:
- From the Payroll Center, select the Pay Liabilities tab.
- In the Pay Taxes & Other Liabilities section, select the federal liability to e-pay, and select View/Pay.
- Verify that E-payment is selected, and select E-pay.
- Clear the Remember My Information for next Time checkbox.
- Enter your new 4-Digit PIN and EFTPS Internet password.
- Enter any other missing information.
- Select Submit.
The next time you make e-payment, re-enter your new 4-Digit PIN and EFTPS Internet password, and select the Remember My Information for next Time option.