Thanks for reaching out. In this situation it will depend on how you are recording the payments as to what the best process will be.
If the invoices are manually marked as paid (via the record payment option) you can:
1. Open the invoice
2. Select the customer drop down arrow
3. Choose the project (customer) you are wishing to add the invoice to
4. Select Save and close
This should allow you to retain the invoice data and also add the income to your Project.
If you are matching payments from the Bank Feed I would recommend undoing the match before changing the customer to your Project:
1. Navigate to the bank feed from the Banking tab
2. Select Reviewed
3. Navigate to the Date of the Payment. You can narrow your search using the Funnel (Filter) icon if need be
4. Once you have located the match select Undo on the right hand side
5. You will then be able to change the customer to your Project using the above steps
6. Once this is done, you can match the Payment to the Invoice from the For Review screen
Please let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions at all?
payment had been matched from bank feed, so I followed your instructions to UNDO the match then tried to change the Invoice to the project and I get the same result that "This will remove any linked transactions." then the line items disappear.
I'd like to share some insights about the message prompt ""This will remove any linked transactions."
The steps provided by my colleague will only apply on a regular invoice. If you're converting from a quote, you'll get this prompt.
In this case, you can go back to your quote and change the status to pending. Then change your customer to project. Let me guide you how.
Once done, create an invoice out of your project. This way, your product/service items won't get deleted.
On that same page, you can edit or customize your invoice. Feel free to read this article before emailing your invoice to your customer.
Please don't hesitate to reach out anytime if you have other questions in mind.