Learn how to make changes to a recurring transaction template in QuickBooks Online.
Recurring templates can help you save time. Here we show you how to edit a recurring template, explain the effects a change has on items, customers, and company settings, and show you how to change the service date on a saved recurring transaction.
Don't have a recurring template yet? Learn how to create one.
|Note: Recurring templates are only available in QuickBooks Online Essentials and Plus.|
Edit a recurring template
- Go to Settings ⚙.
- Under Lists, select Recurring Transactions.
- From the Action column of the transaction you want to make changes to, select Edit.
- You can edit the template name and type, and the customer or payee name, if it applies.
- If you are editing a Scheduled or Reminder template, you can also change the Interval to change the date of your recurring template.
- You can specify how long you will be using it and if you want to be notified in advance.
- Add all necessary product and/or service details.
- Select Save template.
|Note: Changes to recurring templates are not retroactive. If there are incorrect transactions entered, edit them just like any normal entry.|
What happens when you edit items or customers?
When editing and saving an item or customer, you'll see the message "The matching Recurring Templates will be updated with your changes," if the changes you're making will affect a recurring template. You can either:
- Select OK to save the item/customer, and update all relevant templates.
Note: There is no option to save the Item/Customer without affecting the templates.
- Select Cancel to stay on the item/customer form, without changing or saving anything.
The fields that trigger Recurring Templates to be updated with new values include:
|Customer record fields||Credit card info||Name on card item fields|
What happens when you edit company settings?
When you edit certain fields in Company Settings, QuickBooks Online updates any recurring templates accordingly. Unlike items or customers, you won't see a recurring template message when making changes to your company settings.
These fields include:
- Customer estimates message
- Customer sales forms message
- Sales tax rate
- Account for tax
- Account for shipping
- Account for discount
- MAS deposit account
How to change the service date
The Service Date on a transaction created from a recurring template does not automatically populate. Find each transaction individually and manually enter the correct Service Date. To find a recently created transaction based on a template:
- Select Reports.
- Search for and run the Recent Automatic Transactions report.
- Specify the report period.
- Select Run report.
- Select the individual transaction to display it, and then manually update the Service Date field to the date the service was actually performed.
- Select Save.