Learn how to personalise your sales forms and add the info that matters most to your business.
QuickBooks Online gives you the tools to create attractive, professional-looking invoices, estimates, and cash memos. Customised sales forms are a simple yet effective way to enhance your business' brand. You don’t need to be a designer to make eye-catching designs. And you get to decide what info your customer sees.
You can personalise the appearance and layout of your sales forms. Once you create your masterpiece, save it as a custom template so you can use it at any time.
You can create separate templates for your invoices, estimates, and cash memos. You can also have multiple templates for each form.
Step 1: Create a new template
- Go to Settings ⚙ and then select Custom Form Styles.
- Select New Style.
- Select the type of form you want to create.
Step 2: Design your template
You'll see a preview of your changes as you make them. Whenever you're ready to save your changes, select Done.
To adjust the general layout and look of your template:
- Select the Design tab.
- Give your template a name.
- Select Dive in with a template to choose a layout. These layouts are fixed. We recommend the Airy new. If you want to add SKUs or create progress invoices, you need to use Airy new.
- Select Add your unique logo to upload a new logo.
- Select Splash on some colour to pick a colour scheme. You can also enter a hex code to use a truly custom colour.
- Select Get choosy with your font to change the font and size.
- Select When in doubt, print it out to adjust the margins. This is important if you send printed forms to your customers.
Step 3: Customise the info on your forms
Go to the Content tab to start customising the details. Forms have three sections: header, table, and footer.
Select a section on the sample form to edit the fields. You'll edit each section separately. You can edit, add, or remove data fields on custom forms. You have many options. We won't cover them all, but here are a few highlights:
Step 4: Personalise your email message
Make things personal and change the message customers see when they get their invoice or cash memo. If you want to use your default messaging, you can skip this.
In the Custom Form Styles window, go to the Emails tab. You can change the subject line, greeting, and message body. You can even customise reminder emails.
Step 6:Step 5: Apply a template to an invoice, cash memo, or estimate
QuickBooks uses whatever you set as your default template each time you make a new invoice, cash memo, or estimate. You can also select a specific template for specific transactions directly on the form:
- Create or open an existing invoice, cash memo, or estimate.
- Select Customise in the footer.
- Select a custom template from the list.
Step 6: Edit custom templates
To manage your custom templates, select Settings ⚙ and then Custom Form Styles.
QuickBooks creates a standard template based on the first custom template you create. It's your default for invoices, cash memos, and estimates. To set one of your custom templates as the default:
- Find your template.
- Select the ▼ in the Action column.
- Select Make default.
To edit a custom template:
- In the Custom Form Styles window, find your custom or standard template.
- Select Edit in the Action column.