Learn how to discount invoices and sales receipts.
Want to give your favourite customer a discount? You can easily discount a percentage of an invoice or sales receipt. And if you give set discounts with fixed prices, we'll also show you how to add them. Here's how to set up and give discounts in QuickBooks Online.
Step 1: Turn on the discount feature
If you haven’t already, turn on the discount feature.
- Select Settings ⚙ and then Account and Settings.
- Select the Sales tab on the menu.
- In the Sales form content section, select the pencil ✏ icon to edit it.
- Select the Discount checkbox to turn it on.
- Then select Save and then Done.
This adds the discount field to your invoices and sales receipts. QuickBooks also creates a Discount given account to track everything on your chart of accounts.
Step 2: Apply a discount
Discount a percentage or specific amount
Use the discount field on an invoice or sales receipt.
- Select + New.
- Select Invoice or Sales receipt.
- Add products and services. Then fill out the rest of the form.
- Select Discount percentage or Discount value to enter the discount as a percentage or a specific amount.
- Enter the amount you want to discount in the discount field.
- If you want to discount the total before you calculate sales tax, select the arrow icon next to the discount field.
- When you're finished, select Save and send or Save and close.