Learn how to delete your data in QuickBooks Online and start over with new books.
Sometimes you need to start fresh with a new QuickBooks Online company. If you're a new customer, you can simply start over. If you've used QuickBooks for a longer than 90 days, you'll need to create a new file or contact support.
Reset your account that is more than 90 days old
If your account has been active for more than 90 days, you cannot perform a file reset straight away. You can contact us to extend the purge and reset date for you. Once this has been extended, you can delete your data and start over.
|Note:||You can only extend the purge and reset date once after 90 days.|
Learn more about how and when you can contact support.
Cancel your account
Alternatively, if you would like to create a new company file, you can cancel your subscription and start a new subscription.
- Sign in to your QuickBooks Online account.
- Go to Settings ⚙, then select Account and settings.
- Select Billing & Subscription.
- Select Cancel.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
Start a new account
Reset your account within 90 days of signup
This is for QuickBooks Online Plus or Essentials users only. If you use QuickBooks Online Simple Start, you need to cancel your current account and start a new one.
|Warning: This process will delete all data in the company file. Once you delete, you can’t restore it.|
- Sign in to your QuickBooks Online Company.
- Change the URL to include /purgecompany
Example: Change https://app.qbo.intuit.com/app/homepage to https://app.qbo.intuit.com/app/purgecompany
- The next screen will provide a summary of the items to delete. Type YES to delete the data, then select OK.
Note: You must be logged in as the Primary admin to delete your data and start over.
Things to know:
- If the industry you want to use is different than the one showing, feel free to change it.
- Mark whether you would like the system to create accounts based on your industry or start with an empty chart of accounts.
- Once your selections are complete, select Wipe Data. When the deletion is complete, you will be rerouted to your homepage.