cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobertSFDA
Level 1

How do you record the cheque number for a BAS payment?

I do the books for our church, and I love QB Online.  Yes, we are a bit old-school and still use cheques for many of our payments.   But I find the fact that I cannot record the cheque number for the payment made to the ATO for the quarterly BAS payment quite annoying.  It seems so simple and so obvious, I can't believe this was overlooked by the developers.  What am I mssing?  I like to run a report sorted by cheque number, as others are writing all the cheques, and this is a way to help validate our entries.  Thank you for any help or advice you can provide!

1 Comment 1
Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

How do you record the cheque number for a BAS payment?

Welcome to the Online Community, RobertSFDA.

I can point you in the right direction about recording cheque number for BAS payment.

Currently, there isn’t a direct way of adding the cheque number to the transaction. However, you can use the Memo field to enter the information.

Here’s how:

1. In your QBO company, click GST on the left panel.
  2. Under BAS, open the BAS Payment.
  3. On the Record GST payment page, enter the cheque number in the Memo field.
    bas.png
  4. Click on Done.

In regard to the report, you can run the Transaction Detail by Account to validate the entries. You can follow these steps to open it.

1. Go to Reports on the left panel.
  2. Enter Transaction Detail by Account in the search field.
  3. On the Report period drop-down, select the correct period you want to run the report.
    bas1.png
  4. Click on the Customise tab, then mark the box for Memo.
    bas2.png
  5. Choose Run Report.
    bas3.png

For more customisation options, follow the steps in the How to customise reports article.

We’re constantly improving our product's features and services to meet your needs. You can visit the QuickBooks Resource Centre for any updates and feature enhancements.

This should help you move forward.

Let me know if you get the chance to try all these suggestions and what the results are. I'll be right here to assist further.