When generating a report, you may see a message at the bottom of your screen that says the following: Report too large to display.
This happens when a report exceeds the size limits applied to reports generated within the program.
What are the size limits when exporting a report to Excel?
The following are the size limits for columns, cells, and data:
- Columns: maximum of 1024 columns displayed. (It's unlikely that you'll exceed this limit because it's based on the Excel column limitation.)
- Cells: maximum of 400K cells with data. (Cells are defined as data that shows up on an individual cell once exported to Excel. Only cells that have data in them count toward the limit.)
- Data: maximum of 10MB worth of data.
How do I fix a report that is too large to display?
There are 3 steps that you can take to help fix a report that is too large to display in QuickBooks Online.
Step 1: Export your report into Excel
A simple export usually works with display issues since QuickBooks Online can export more information to a spreadsheet than it can display. It is common to see errors like this when you run a General Ledger Report because of the file size.
Learn more about how to export your reports into Excel.
Step 2: Remove columns from your report
Since the limit is based on the raw amount of data displayed, you can potentially get more data into a report by eliminating columns you don't need to be displayed.
To remove columns:
- Open the report you would like to edit.
- Select Customise at the top of the report.
- Select Rows/Columns, then choose Change columns.
- Put a check mark on your selected columns, uncheck to remove the others.
- Select Run report.
Step 3: Combine a series of reports
You can customise a report by account, report period or any other filter available. You may wish to create a series of reports, export them to Excel and combine them into one single report within Excel.
To combine the reports:
- While on the open report, select the Export icon beside Print.
- Select Export to Excel.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for all the report segments you want to combine.
- Use the tools in Excel to combine worksheet information.
That's it. You now know how to fix a report that is too large to display.