Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
QBCommunityUK
Community Manager

6 Hallmarks of a Successful Crowdfunding Campaign

large-5.jpg

What do popsicles, lipstick, sustainably raised meat and a run-down flower truck have in common? 2 things. First, they’re all products featured in crowdfunding campaigns launched by enterprising entrepreneurs. Second—and most notably—these are just some of the campaigns that have received a critical funding boost thanks to the Backed by QuickBooks initiative.

Team QuickBooks selects standout ideas from small business owners and helps them reach their crowdfunding goals with a surprise infusion of cash. The campaigns selected so far all demonstrate the 6 hallmarks of a successful crowdfunding effort.

Tip 1: Tell a compelling “problem” story. Every great business story starts with a problem—and your company has the solution. Hannah England of Wash. It. Later. pitches her liquid-tight hypoallergenic bags as the answer to the problem every parent dreads: the poo emergency on the go. Yeah, there’s a fix for that.

Tip 2: Be your best brand ambassador. Camille Bell of Pound Cake doesn’t just talk about the frustration of purchasing lip colour that looks like a totally different shade once you try it on at home. She also serves as the model in her video showing how her new lip-colour product solves the problem.

Tip 3: State your needs clearly and concretely. What are your crowdfunding goals? This question goes beyond the money. Letitia Walker of Purna Yoga 828 details the specific challenges of modifying a pre-existing space into a “State of the Ancient Art” yoga studio, from replacing harsh fluorescent lighting to quieting a noisy air conditioning system. A “before” picture helps illustrate her points—and her needs.

Tip 4: Make a creative visual impact. Professionally produced videos may be an outreach for many early-stage entrepreneurs. Husband-and-wife team Erica and Will Messmer of Darke Pines Butcher Shop mixed things up with sweet, custom-drawn illustrations that authentically reflected their clean, simple approach to sustainably sourced meats.

Tip 5: Reflect your brand voice. Stacey Moeller of Tiny Acre Farms conveyed the plucky spirit of her urban gardening business when seeking funds to re-outfit her flower van:

"We’ve got the truck, the farm and the spunk to make this happen! We’ve just got to remodel the interior, install new seats, seat belts and windows, show some love to that chassis, purchase a new generator and paint the exterior with the Tiny Acre look and feel."

The effect is friendly, folksy and fun. Who wouldn’t want to get on board?

Tip 6: Use perks to build long-lasting community. Carolyn Phillips of Alchemy Pops offers her entry-level backers the perk of “Joining the Pop Fan Community” with a subscription to her company newsletter. It’s not a dozen free pops (that’s for bigger pledges), but it’s a smart approach to keeping fans engaged and invested in your journey.

Before you go

QB Community members, have you ever backed a crowdfunding campaign? If so, what ultimately inspired you to reach for your wallet – we’d love to find out! :)

small.jpeg

Want to join the conversation? Click HERE to sign up in a flash!

2 REPLIES 2
LeslieBarber
Level 6

I have never crowdfunded a business but I have certainly supported many. And I love it! It feels like I'm part of the business from the start. And yet, I wonder if it makes life easier for business owners. Would love to hear from others who have done this!

EmilyCowan
Level 7

One typically associates crowdfunding with startups, but I just read that a bidder for the now-bankrupt U.S. toy chain Toys R Us has launched a Go Fund Me campaign. Prospective backers are being invited to invest anywhere from $5 to $10,000+!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us